Rootwars!

<<

LSOChris

Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:46 am

Rootwars!

Every weekend for the entire month of September LSO will host a RootWar. These RootWars are for beginners and of course we’ll be helping the players along during the game with tips and tricks. 

This is a great way for you to improve your Linux system administration skills, your system hardening skills, and obviously your vulnerability assessment and penetration skills. I highly recommend that you play. Be sure to email Joe at: joe@learnsecurityonline.com if you are interested in playing, and feel free to invite other people to play as well. Just make sure that they contact me first so I can send all of the competition info to them.

-Chris
<<

LSOChris

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Rootwars!

another great rootwars this weekend...

remote exploits, local exploits, bruteforcing accounts with weak passwords... lots of good stuff!

we had a EH-net member playing who had a great time, everyone is still invited next week!!!
<<

ryan.cartner

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:50 pm

Everyone that missed the rootwars today REALLY should think about joining in next saturday.

I had a blast. If you're worried about your level of skill, don't be. Chris and Joe help out plenty. You stand to learn a ton of stuff, and on top of everything else, its FUN. After the games finished, as a courtasy, Joe gave me a call and we talked about how it played out, he gave me some tips, and he invited me to the next one.

I suggest EVERYONE goes. Its a good oportunity to get some real handson experience. There were people with skill levels ranging from very advanced to intermediate to very basic. I can't speak for Joe but I KNOW everyone else learned a little something and walked away better for having played.

I'm really looking forward to next saturday.

Thanks for putting it all together Joe, and good luck next week Chris.
<<

Kev

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:28 pm

Chris,   

That’s really awesome that you are putting that together for EH members. I have to work just about every Saturday so it’s hard for me to be there.  People that have time on there hand and don’t take advantage of this opportunity are crazy. Do they realize how much boot camps charge and often don’t even teach a lot of practical hacking? Usually thousands!

BTW,  my nephew wants to do security training so I am referring him to LSO, so be nice to him, lol!
<<

LSOChris

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:06 pm

thanks!

well i believe in the LSO project and i believe in what Don is trying to do with EH-net so we dont mind helping out.  The LSO site is being updated and will be coming back with some new content, programs, and membership options.

i'll post up when the upgrade is complete.
<<

ryan.cartner

Post Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:41 pm

Hope to see you all for tomorrows rootwar  8)

if you havn't yet, email Joe at: joe@learnsecurityonline.com
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:10 pm

anyone else besides Ryan playing tomorrow?
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:11 pm

I'm interested to hear how this weekend's festivities went.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:44 pm

it went really well.

each team got a host that was completely backdoored.  backdoors running in the /dev directory, backdoors that would excute when you did the "ls" command, etc, rogue user accounts. you had to find all the backdoors, turn them off, and then try to attack the other team and hope they didnt secure their host yet.the machines also had remote root vulnerablilities and local exploits.

good stuff!  Ryan's team won this week.
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:46 pm

All, the Rootwar will be held Saturday September 23rd at 3pm EST.
International folks please check the world clock at:
www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ so you are there on time as for many of
you it will be late Saturday evening or early Sunday morning.

if you want to play contact me via PM or joe@learnsecurityonline.com.

see you tomorrow!
<<

ryan.cartner

Post Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:59 am

hopefully there will be a few more eh members there this week.

See you all there ;)
<<

LSOChris

Post Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:09 pm

another good rootwars this week.

this week we put everyone on windows server 2000 boxes.  you think you are comfortable on windows until you get command line only windows access.

thanks to all those that played and see you next week.

Return to Network Pen Testing