Semi-Newbie Here. Happy New Year!

<<

Empires89

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:03 pm

Semi-Newbie Here. Happy New Year!

Happy (belated) New Year. I've been around the security industry awhile, but am by no means an expert. I consider myself a beginner-to-intermediate, and I thirst for more knowledge. My interest in IT Security / Web Security started when I was an /i/nsurgent in my teens. Let's just say I was a little chaotic, taking down websites for the hell of it with my skiddie acrobatics and beautiful social engineering. I don't do that anymore.

Nowadays my focus is on keeping a business online and secure. I am in charge of all IT jobs at my business. It's a small business with two physical locations, and my boss is clueless about IT. While I know a bit, at least enough to keep our remote servers and VOIP functional, my knowledge does not go in-depth.

I decided to go deeper into IT Security. Unfortunately I was never able to go to college. I flipped through a Security+ and CISSP book at Borders. I was able to get at least 70% of the questions in the first couple chapters of the Security+ book right, so I thought getting that certification might at least help to establish myself further in the security industry.
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: Semi-Newbie Here. Happy New Year!

Well, we wish you the best, as you work on furthering yourself, and we're all here to lend advice and knowledge, where it fits. 

Oh yeah... and Welcome!  ;D
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

rattis

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:40 pm

Go for it, do the Security+ and then figure out where to go from there. :)
OSWP, Sec+
<<

SephStorm

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:37 pm

Agreed, the Sec+ is a great place to start, and you're almost finished! ;) if you need any help, we'll be glad to assist!
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

Empires89

Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks. I've been looking at other certificates like the CEH and CHFI. I like a challenge and I love trying to work out problems.

Of course, none of these help me now. I'm happily employed @ $15/hr so mainly it's just bragging rights and a good challenge.

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net