Information Security Professional - Career advise

<<

Geox

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:39 am

Information Security Professional - Career advise

Hello Everyone
First of all Merry Christmas and a Happy new year  :)

Secondly, I need some advise from you regarding my Security Career

To give you a brief description about my career till now:
I graduated 3 years ago with  computer and communication Engineering Bachelor Degree, and have been working since then in a CIsco gold Partner company (technical Team), and i worked in a variety of projects types (Routing, Switch, Security, Network management...) and i worked as well in some other security Products (McAfee, Qualys, CoreImpact and lately Arsight...)

and have accomplished the following Certs: CCNP, CCSP, CEH

So for now, i decided to be completely dedicated on security but i am so lost in the large sea of Certifications and specializations:
I have checked multiple recommended Certifications (OSCP, CISSP, SANS) and multiple dedicated specializations (Forensic, Cyber Security, PCI_DSS QSA, Cryptography...) and other Online Master Degree

What do you recommended in working on for the coming year?

Is there any types of Specialization that is more required that others?

Knowing that i know English/French & Arabic fluently and willing to relocate to foreign countries (US, Canada, Europe...), Is it recommended in specializing in a field more than an other?

Thanks
Regards,
<<

SephStorm

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Information Security Professional - Career advise

It really depends on your interests. It seems as though you are more technically inclined, so I would stay away from CISSP.  There are many fields, and it really depends on where you want to go. If you can give us an idea of that, we can perhaps lay out a roadmap. One option I can tell you right now that can be available to you is teh Western Governors University's MSIA program which incorporates the CEH/ECSA/LPT and I think the forensics certs as well. EC-Council University also offers the Masters of Security Science, but it is only accredited in New Mexico.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

kennut

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: Information Security Professional - Career advise

indeed, you're technically well versed, I did recommend doing something out of being too "technical". because if you stay technical, you'll be just there, a techie.

to move up in the chain, you need to do something different, related to business / corporate world.

CISA - if you're want to try IT Audit
CISM - Info Sec - Managerial
CISSP - Info Sec - Operational

and since you like to travel, suggest a consultant role or where a job allows you to travel to other countries that requires your skills set. good thing about that you'll be expose to all sort of industries to work while learn to accumulate your experiences. ain't that great?

Big 4 companies do have technical competent staffs (most likely advisory role) to help out in certain works.
Done all 3 certs, now going for CISSP.....

Return to Career Central