Help with BackTrack R2

<<

DraeneiLover

Post Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:30 am

Help with BackTrack R2

Hey there, sry if this is the wrong place, this is where the last post that was related to my problem was so i figured id do the same, ill move it if need be. Im new to hacking, Linux distributions, programming or well anything needed TO hack. I got backtrack linux to start with, i figure id read up on some stuff to use it (alot easier said than done, yes i know). Anyways, I have some knowledge of computers and such, installing drivers, getting rid of viruses, bla bla, easy stufff. konsole commands are completely new to me, hell command promt is still alient to me. Im running BT r2 on Vbox on a Windows 7 64bit Host (Home  Premium if it matters). Im trying to make a share folder but guest additions need to be installed for this. Tried to install, nothing happens (the thing in Vbox that says "install guest additions, and nothing happens. so i tried a command i found that says i needed to do to make it work, I assume that its hdC cause thats the CDs locations (the virtualboxadditions.iso).    it says to open console and do        mount /dev/hdX /mnt/dcrom          i try that then it says Mount: mount point /mnt/cdrom does not exist.    im sure im doing something blatantly retarded. i am using hdc instead of hdx there, am i can access the iso from konqueror but that doesnt help my situations. can someone help this noob out? i have looked at posts, i have grinded my fingertips out on the keyboard from google so i am desperate. This was downloaded right off Back tracks website btw, the iso one. not the VMware one, and yes, it is installed on the virtual Hard drive
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:10 am

Re: Help with BackTrack R2

Keep following your directions, but you'll likely need to create the directory for the mount, first.

"mkdir /mount/cdrom"
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

DraeneiLover

Post Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:53 pm

Thanks haya, i remember your name from some posts i read. problem is it says mkdir: cannot create directory `mount/cdrom': no such file or directory. am i supposed to put the name of the cd (the vboxguestadditions iso) in place of cdrom, cause if i am i tried that and same thing.

edit: I have found the solution here http://foxlinx.wordpress.com/2010/02/03 ... ons/&nbsp;   turns out i was on the right path... just for got the cd / command. Now just to find out how to access the shared folder and find out where the f*ck HDD in media went *sigh*
Last edited by DraeneiLover on Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:44 pm

If you were logged in as root, that command SHOULD have worked.  Based on the error, it looks like perhaps you were missing the preceeding forward slash, before mount.

Either way, glad you're figuring it out / progressing.

Happy New Year!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker