Hello - new to this site and need a little help please

<<

miss

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:08 pm

Hello - new to this site and need a little help please

Hi i just came on this site and it is really great.  I am looking for some advice.  I am in college and need to do a project.  Hoping to do one on VOIP and set up an actual voip system and hope to use 3cx. 

I would like to somehow 'hack' into the voip system or intrude and be able to show this and then provide a solution or show i solved this security threat.  I am a total newbie to this kind of area so any help or guidance is REALLY appreciated.  Apologies if i haven't posted this in the right section.

Thanks. :)
<<

sil

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Re: Hello - new to this site and need a little help please

What have you tried so far? How far have you gotten? What is your approach to this? How much do you know/understand about VoIP?

VoIP 101...

VoIP as a service is no different than email. Most "VoIP" in the sense of SIP registrations and or trunking is no different. There is going to be a username, password and registrar.

SIP Account:
Username
Password
Registrar

E-Mail Account:
Username
Password
SMTP/POP/IMAP Server

With this said there are two attack vectors to think about. The registrar and the end user. Attacking an end user yields you the ability to see/hear voicemail, place calls, etc. usually, these will have limited access/resources to do much via configurations

Attacking the registrar is no different than attacking any system. You're after administrative/root privileges. What services are running on the machine, are they vulnerable, if so, how. What can you gather/own/etc. That's all I'm willing to share right now. You have a baseline/framework to think about/work with. Guess I could supply more (http://secunia.com/advisories/22480) but as stated, this should give you enough to work with

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net