I Passed the C|EH Exam

<<

MindOverMatter

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:02 pm

I Passed the C|EH Exam

So I passed my C|EH yesterday!  I got a 91 out of 70 passing.
The exam consisted of 150 questions and you have a 4 hour time limit, which I actually took a while, three and a half hours to complete.  The nice thing about the test is that you can go back and check your answers, or those you marked during the exam.  I used the extra 30minutes for that.
Here is how I passed, or the materials that I used.

- Read Kimberly Graves 2010 CEH book twice (once two days before exam).
- Wen through all the practice tests included in the book until all information was second hand.
- Used Shon Harris’ CEH flash cards daily certflashcardsonline.com
- Used and memorized most of the commands/ switches from the NMAP Cookbook.
- Installed fresh installs of Linux distributions and knew at least the basic commands.
- Installed and learned how to configure SNORT, not in depth, but working on it still.
- eLearnSecurity’s course I’m going through (Armando’s section) helped a lot.
- A lot just was previous knowledge that helped from my CCNA/P studies (ports etc.)

I studied for a month and a half immediately after passing my CCNP Switch exam.  However, don’t use my time frame to base anything on, because I literally studied 10hrs a day everyday with no outside life… So, for those who don’t want to be a hermit geek, maybe 2 – 3 months, depending on your knowledge level..

I know the CEH gets a lot of flack, but I can honestly say I learned a heck of a lot from preparing for the exam.  The thing is the above mentioned book is short and not great, but if you actually go on your own and configure/ learn to understand the output from and IDS such as SNORT, linux, NMAP, NetCat… You’ll be fine, IMHO.

So what’s next for me… Well I thought about it and I’m so into the security that I didn’t want to get back into finishing my other 2/3 of my CCNP at first, but remembered, hey I’m still going through eLearn’s course to get my ePPT.  So I’m going to balance both, get my CCNP out of the way, then worry about what vendor specific security certification to get next.  I have the SSCP in mind, since I have all the material for it, but wouldn’t mind getting my ECSA/LPT either.
Last edited by MindOverMatter on Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Associate, CCNA, C|EH
<<

caissyd

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:49 pm

Re: I Passed the C|EH Exam

Congratulations MindOverMatte!!!

I will also add that most questions are pretty long. Therefore, for a francophone like me, these questions that never end made me use the full 4 hours...
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

rattis

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:00 pm

Congrats man. Although hermit life isn't good for you.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:36 pm

I'll second chrisj, on both the congrats, and his comment about the 'hermit life.'

But glad to see you passed!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

MindOverMatter

Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate the recognition!  :)

I also have to agree with you 100% on the hermit part.  I think one of the most important aspects of life is balance.. I don't wanna end up looking like the dude on the cover Zeppelin IV lol..

I suppose I just have a bit of say.. More than a little extra time the last and next couple of months, so I hope to get as much out of it knowledge and credential wise, because I really want a long term stable career (or a consulting / tiger team to be part of).  I'm definitely gonna take it easier though.

I hope all is well with you all!
A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Associate, CCNA, C|EH

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker