Step by step guide to setup 2 home networks

<<

Joshsevo

Post Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:43 pm

Step by step guide to setup 2 home networks

Is there a step by step guide to setting up two separate home networks.  I am not a networking guy and I would need my hand held and led through the process.

Reason I ask is because I would like to try and break into my own network and practice the things I have learned.  No reason to do things illegal when I have enough computers in my house to use.

Anyone care to help me out on this?

Would I need two separate internet accounts?
Security+, Network+, C|EH, CHFI, CPT
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:48 am

Re: Step by step guide to setup 2 home networks

You might consider buying Professional Penetration Testing, as it covers how to setup a lab for pentesting. There are also a couple of posts here at EH-Net about the very same subject, such as Pentest Lab: Web Application Edition and Network pentest lab setup. There are also many pre-built images available which can be used for practicing as well (De-ICE, pWnOS, hackerdemia, foundstone's, DVL, etc.). You might also look out for CTF images.

If you are not very familiar with networks, it wouldn't hurt to spend time to learn more about it, also regarding the fact, that you would like to attack it later. Knowing how to build a network and possible misconfigurations etc., would help in the attacking phase as well.

A scenario with two different internet connections is possible, but not necessary/ depends on the scenario you would like to go through. Depending on your country/ ISP it could violate some policies though, as you then would attack through your internet connection and not through your internal network.
<<

caissyd

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:08 am

Yes awesec is right. I bought the "Professional Penetration Testing" book and it helped me a lot in starting my lab.

But really, it isn't complicated. What are you looking for? Do you want to pentest web applications, OS, wireless, databases, applications, etc? Give us more details has to what you want to test first and we will guide you more.

Also, you don't need another internet connection! Probably just virtual machines...
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:55 am

You can use Virtual Machines, and setup routes inside the solution of choice, or if you're using physical machines, as your post implied, just setup different subnets, with a wireless router (or regular router(s) if you have them,) and they'll work just fine.

As H1tM0nk3y said, however, a bit more detail will go a long way in helping us to make recommendations.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Joshsevo

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:18 pm

I guess what I would like to do is setup a network using Windows XP or 7 and use my copy of Norton 360 and see if I can bypass the it and access the computer.  Then I suppose I can start working on other things that I can get suggestions for.

I am just getting into this and have not taken my CEH yet but will soon.

Is there anything that I should just begin with and not jump right into what I mentioned above?

Wireless would be fun too.  I can screw with my wifes laptop...lol
<<

sil

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:15 pm

Let this be something you'll always remember and take into account from here on out. Planning planning planning planning. Draw yourself up a plan, literally, write it down whether on a piece of paper or by creating a file with vi, notepad, whatever you use. Doing so will almost always yield better results and save you time in the long run. "To Do List" applications work well for this.

Doing this accomplishes a few things:

1) Helps you remember to ALWAYS establish a structured test
2) Helps you keep things organized (especially if you're using checklists)
3) Allows you to document findings - you cannot possibly remember every hiccup

I would approach the task in the following manner: 1) Learn about the system while doing so 2) Learn about project management while doing so 3) Learn about documentation which is EXTREMELY important when you have to write post-testing reports 4) Learn how to manage your time (remember time equals money)

Step 1) Install an operating system
Step 2) Determine what applications would be used on this machine
Step 3) Determine what types of security would be used on that type of machine
Step 4) Analyze how this security application works
Step 5) Look for methods to circumvent it

When I approach personal based testing, I approach it from the systems, network and architect perspective. For example, I needed to test some SAP stuff. So what did I do? Did the research on typical SAP installs. Documented what I perceived it would do, what machines I needed for it, how I needed it to run, who was going to connect to it and why, what type of security would be on it.

After I got it up and running, everything was documented, it was easy for me to go back revert things, uninstall-reinstall, fiddle around pre-security testing. Then came the fuzzing (Peach and Klocwork for those wondering what I use), then came the patch management, security management, re-fuzzing, breaking, etc.

It's a lot easier to be able to dissect things in the long run. For example, on a step by step basis (validating your findings) you would be able to determine that X occurred because of Y. For example, if you were able to pop shells on a machine prior to say installing ProgramY, you'd know when/how/what you need to work around
<<

mallaigh

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:25 pm

I would say check out: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index.&nbsp; This is Linux based firmware that is available for many older wireless routers/APs.  They have a few tutorials on there, that might help you out.
If you are looking to separate the networks the machines are on, research sub-netting and VLANs (both are common solutions).  Follow sil's advice, the man is brilliant.
<<

COm_BOY

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:42 pm

Also check LAMP Security CTF , http://sourceforge.net/projects/lampsecurity/
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.
<<

Joshsevo

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:20 pm

I think until I can hone my skills I am going to stay away from Linux.  I appreciate the suggestions but since I am new with this and have no networking or hacking skills to begin with there is no need to get over my head and I think that would happen.

Does anyone mind if I PM with specific questions related to setting up this 2nd network.  I think the IT guys at my work are stuck up and have a need to talk down to me for some reason and I don't feel comfortable asking them.
<<

Joshsevo

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:30 pm

sil wrote:Let this be something you'll always remember and take into account from here on out. Planning planning planning planning. Draw yourself up a plan, literally, write it down whether on a piece of paper or by creating a file with vi, notepad, whatever you use. Doing so will almost always yield better results and save you time in the long run. "To Do List" applications work well for this.

Doing this accomplishes a few things:

1) Helps you remember to ALWAYS establish a structured test
2) Helps you keep things organized (especially if you're using checklists)
3) Allows you to document findings - you cannot possibly remember every hiccup

I would approach the task in the following manner: 1) Learn about the system while doing so 2) Learn about project management while doing so 3) Learn about documentation which is EXTREMELY important when you have to write post-testing reports 4) Learn how to manage your time (remember time equals money)

Step 1) Install an operating system
Step 2) Determine what applications would be used on this machine
Step 3) Determine what types of security would be used on that type of machine
Step 4) Analyze how this security application works
Step 5) Look for methods to circumvent it

When I approach personal based testing, I approach it from the systems, network and architect perspective. For example, I needed to test some SAP stuff. So what did I do? Did the research on typical SAP installs. Documented what I perceived it would do, what machines I needed for it, how I needed it to run, who was going to connect to it and why, what type of security would be on it.

After I got it up and running, everything was documented, it was easy for me to go back revert things, uninstall-reinstall, fiddle around pre-security testing. Then came the fuzzing (Peach and Klocwork for those wondering what I use), then came the patch management, security management, re-fuzzing, breaking, etc.

It's a lot easier to be able to dissect things in the long run. For example, on a step by step basis (validating your findings) you would be able to determine that X occurred because of Y. For example, if you were able to pop shells on a machine prior to say installing ProgramY, you'd know when/how/what you need to work around

Sil,

Is there a template of the documnetation that I could use?  Or do you know wexactly what should be on ths documenation?
<<

sil

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:15 pm

Not that I know of. I've been trying for the past 2-3 years to document EVERY SINGLE THING I DO. This includes installs, configurations, etc. so I tend to make them on the fly with open office's excel clone.
<<

mallaigh

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:29 pm

Joshsevo wrote:I think until I can hone my skills I am going to stay away from Linux.  I appreciate the suggestions but since I am new with this and have no networking or hacking skills to begin with there is no need to get over my head and I think that would happen.

Does anyone mind if I PM with specific questions related to setting up this 2nd network.  I think the IT guys at my work are stuck up and have a need to talk down to me for some reason and I don't feel comfortable asking them.

The DD-WRT runs on a Linux on the back end, but it has a web interface that is very similar to that of the Linksys web interface.  Knowing or not knowing Linux isn't really an issue with the firmware.  I was recommending it because it it allows you to have much more control over your wireless routers and unlocks a lot of features you might be interested in.  Since there are also some guides, I also figured it might help you out.

You are welcome to send me PMs if you would like, and I will do my best to answer them when I have free time.
<<

savedjeg3

Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:24 am

I'm interested in this also, but with using virtual machines. Can VMware Server be used to create a network between 2 hosts ex) WinXP to WinXP virtual machines?!?! I've tried but I can't get the 2 hosts to see each other. Is there a better free VM that I should be using?

Thanks
James 1:1
<<

rattis

Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:35 am

If I recall correctly (but haven't been playing with VMware lately), that you can set up a network for Guests only. So the guests can talk to each other.

I know for a fact VirtualBox does. Usually how I set up my test lab when I want to get dirty, keep it contained all on the laptop (even disconnect laptop from regular network).

However play with VMware if you can, it'll help you more in Xen or VB in job interviews (as I've been finding out lately).
OSWP, Sec+
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:03 pm

VMWare has Bridged, NAT, DHCP and Host-only mode.  If you're on anything other than bridged (with proper IP's for the attached physical subnet) you'll need to check your IP network assignments, to make certain your guest VM's are configured on the proper networks.  You can change a lot of this in preferences within VMWare.  On a Linux host, it's in VMWare under Edit - Virtual Network Editor, so you can validate which nic your VM adapters bridge to, etc.  I never let it auto-bridge, as sometimes that causes issues.  But that's where you should begin.

If you post a bit of your config, once you look in there, we can try to help further.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
Next

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker