Hacker Highschool

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:20 pm

Hacker Highschool

It's great to master security and hacking, but it is a noble endeavor to teach what you have learned. It is nobler still to pass this knowledge on to a younger generation. This is the goal of Hacker Highschool. Check them out.

http://www.hackerhighschool.org

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

oyle

Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:55 pm

Re: Hacker Highschool

Maybe so, but I shy away from using the word "expert". I do not consider myself an expert, and I do not want to become known as an "expert"; there is always something new coming out; always something new to learn. You never stop learning. Being a CEH is cool and all, I'm very proud of having achieved the cert, but I'm not afraid to learn new things. You always have to stay on top of the newest technologies, which is cool by me; I love new technologies in all their forms.
MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE(NT4/W2K), CCNA, CCA, NWCCC, VH-PIRTS, CEH
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

From 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k: "the ten laws of geek", law x
                  -Tapeworm
<<

Goders

Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:25 pm

What are the requirements of becoming a CEH? I know that their are classes out their to become a CEH, but what do those classes teach?
Last edited by Goders on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

oyle

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:11 am

There aren't really any requirements to speak of, but the more you know about networking, the better off you'll be.
Classes are out there, but they are not on a common schedule. You have to be in the right place at the right time to get into one. Classes run usually around $3000.00 or so. I got a deal on mine, it cost me around $2100.00.
Classes are 9am-5pm for 1 week; info on EC-council website says you do the exam on the last day of class; that would make it a "boot camp", but that's not what happened with me. Last day of class rolled around and we weren't finished with courseware yet. Besiides, where I did the class, they didn't offer the exam. I had to travel to Westlake Ohio to do the exam; the exam is not offered there anymore for some reason.

Class is very cool; it teaches about Enumeration, how to write Trojans and viruses, SQL Injection, Honeypots, DMZs, hacking through Firewals, destroying hard drives, ADS (Alternate DataStreams), “Mary had a Little Lamb” Formula (Not in the class I took); Hacking web servers, Hacking Wireless, How to steal files using Word Documents, Cryptography, MIPS-years, destroying Norton (yay!), MacAfee, etc. See full details on courseware at http://www.eccouncil.org/EC-Council%20Education/ceh-course-outline.htm

You will need to sign an agreement saying that you will not hack systems and that you will be "Ethical". If you don't, and if you do hack someone's systems, you can put yourself in prison.

I did my class in July 04; passed exam in Dec 04; EC-council says on their website that they came out with the CEH "ver.4" courseware about May or April 05; I don't know if there is a big differance between what I did ("ver. 3") and this new ver. 4. But once you achieve the CEH cert, it's supposed to be good for "life", in that it doesn't "expire" and "retire" the way Cisco and Citrix certs do.

Oh yeah, You also need to know how to de-obfuscate a URL, something tht was NOT in the class I took. But it is really cool; there's a website that does an excellent job explaining it. This WAS ON the exam, not taught in the class I took.
Last edited by oyle on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

-Tapeworm
<<

Goders

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:40 pm

I dont know any of the laws affiliated with CEH's, or such, but I always thought that it doesnt matter if you are a CEH or not, you will still go to prision if you hack a system? Are sentences more severe if you are a CEH?
<<

oyle

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:39 pm

Yes, I think they are, because you are supposed to know what you're doing. Think about it. While we were in class, my instructor (who is also a lawyer) said if they arrest you for terrorism, you don't get to talk to a lawyer. Pretty scary stuff, if you ask me. I'm NOT a lawyer.

The first module in the class (that I took) covers cybercrime and the Federal laws involved. if you can, join a local chapter of InfraGard, sponsored by the FBI. They had an open house at the FBI facility in downtown Cleveland in Dec. 04; the FBI offices in downtown Cleveland is totally awesome. They have carpeting in their main conferance room that changes color depending how you look at it. Best of all, I now have a contact at the FBI, although I don't really see or talk to him that often.
--------------------

-Tapeworm
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:11 pm

I appreciate the participation, but I think we've gotten off topic. Hacker High is a non-profit org for teens. CEH is a certification not related at all to Hacker Highschool. It seems as though we have gotten away from talking about either Hacker Highschool or the idea of teaching security to young students.

It might be better suited for the CEH or the General Hacking Boards.

Thanks for understanding,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME

Return to Links to cool sites.