Wifi encryption explained

<<

Svenxix

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:33 pm

Wifi encryption explained

In order to connect to a secure wireless network, the user needs to use a pre-shared key. But once a connection is established between the router and the computer, what key is used to encrypt the data? Does the router invent a new PSK and passes a different one to each host or do all the connected hosts use the same psk to encrypt their data?
<<

rattis

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Wifi encryption explained

I could tell you the answer, but learning it would be better.

If you have the tools to try it:
2 or 3 computers with wifi
1 wifi router.

Use airodump do capture the data. You can have the data going between boxes, or out to the internet. Then try decrypting the data with your known psk, and use wireshark to look at the resulting file.

You can find how to do most of that looking at the aircrack-ng website. You'll want airodump-ng, and airdecap-ng. Both are part of the aircrack-ng suite.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Svenxix

Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:40 pm

Thanks, I'll go ahead and give that a try. I just need to get a wireless card that supports monitor mode. 
<<

TheXero

Post Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:00 am

I use an Alfa Networks AWUS036H USB adapter

I sure anyone would agree this has to be the worlds best adapter around for this use :)
<<

caissyd

Post Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:54 pm

@TheXero Do you use you card on Windows or Linux?

It may be me, but mine works well on Windows but I had problems last year on Ubuntu and Backtrack 3.

I haven't tried it since then...
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

rattis

Post Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:48 pm

H1t M0nk3y

I've used mine on Debian and on Bactrack 3/4/4r1. Debian gave me SOME problems, but only when using it for trying to be an access point, not a tool for attacks.

I've got 2 of the same USB card and love it. Former roommate uses his in windows and ubuntu no problem.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

TheXero

Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:21 pm

I primarly use it with Windows 7, with no issues

However I was using it through the training period for my OSWP cert in VMware Workstation for BackTrack 3, and 4/R1

Mine gets used alot, as its my primary method of connecting to the internet these days lol (on Windows)
<<

Svenxix

Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:52 pm

I’m at a bit of a loss here. I just bought the Alfa Networks AWUS036H USB adapter, but I still can’t get it into monitor mode. I’m running Windows 7, and I’ve installed the driver that came on the CD with it. The problem is that I still can’t sniff any packets with it. I run wire shark and select the appropriate interface. I’ve also made sure that the “capture packets in promiscuous mode” checkbox has been selected in the capture options. However, I still can only see packets destined for my nic or broadcasts.
I’m getting desperate here. Any suggestions?
<<

rattis

Post Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:02 am

I haven't used the card in windows. Are you sure that Windows7 supports Promiscuous mode for that card?
OSWP, Sec+
<<

TheXero

Post Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:20 am

I have never done monitor mode on Windows, only on Linux

Although aircrack-ng has window binary's, its not supported

You will also need airpcap in order to enable monitor mode on the card
<<

venom77

Post Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:27 am

Well, you're not going to do much with that card on Windows anyway.

The best tool I've seen for looking around at wireless networks while on Windows is inSSIDer (http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider). There's also Vistumbler (http://www.vistumbler.net/) but not really my preference.

You will not be able to inject packets with that adapter on Windows (as far as I'm aware).

I've used the AWUS036H and the AWUS036NH on both Windows and Linux with no issues. The H model seems to get better results despite the NH supposedly having more power.

You'd be better off booting a virtual machine with the BT4 pre-built VM and VMware Player or you could use VirtualBox. Once on Linux, it'll be much easier...

airmon-ng start wlan0

Return to Wireless