CCNA info

<<

Beckman11

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:57 am

CCNA info

I posted not to long ago that I just passed the Sec+ exam.  Now I am looking to go down the CCNA route.  I currently have no experience in Cisco products and really have no way of using them at work since we are a smaller company and do not use Cisco products.  I am willing to shell out some money for supplies but don't want to sell the house to build a lab.  Although I want to make sure I get something out of my studies that can benefit me, I don't want to just get the cert I want to understand the information and be able to apply it in the real world.  Any ideas would be appreciated...books, labs, etc.  I have done research and am just wanting to narrow my options down based on what some of you have used or heard is a good option.  Thanks all
Security+
<<

rattis

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:07 pm

Re: CCNA info

I've always liked Todd Lammel's books. I've had a better time understanding them. I have used some other is in the past, but Todd's is usually all I needed.

As for hardware. Find out what you need for the CCNP labs (read the last couple of sections of Chapter 4 of Professional Penetration Testing, can get it here ).

Ebay has them used for decent prices. It's how I built my old CCNA lab, that's next to useless now. And sometimes you'll get lucky, because the devices will come with the old configs on them (I have 2 or 3).
OSWP, Sec+
<<

apollo

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:20 pm

For the CCNA, you can use y200emu emulator.  Unless they have changed it substantially since i took it, most of the links required are serial, and most of the things you will have to do should work within the emulator, and most of all, no hardware required. 

http://7200emu.hacki.at/index.php

They even have sample virtual lab setups for CCNA.
CISSP, CSSLP, MCSE+Security, MCTS, CCSP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCWN, NOP, OSCP, Security+
<<

Beckman11

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 pm

I have looked up a couple options on ebay still not exactly sure what I would need to get please look at these links and let me know if I am on track or if I need something else or more on top of this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-2620XM-32F-12 ... 441wt_1301

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-LAB-4x-2501-1 ... 301wt_1140

http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-CCENT-CCNA-CC ... 301wt_1140

I am sorry that I am so confused but like I said this is all new to me so any help would be appreciated highly
Security+
<<

MindOverMatter

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:34 pm

I got my CCNA in June and have the CNNP Switch exam out of the way.  Bar none, hands down, the absolute best CCNA material for me was Jeremy Cioara's CBT Nuggets and Chris Bryant's Train Signal videos (how you get them... well I know they're not cheap).  Chris Bryant is the best for learning subnetting out of all the instructors out there.

I bought all of Wendell Odom's offical Cisco Press books, but too dry and boring, I don't recommend.

Most helpful book was the CCNA Portable Command guide, but you would need some emulators or some lab equipment, which if your going down the Cisco path is great to have, I invested alot over time on equipment, but the Cisco Certs have easily been the most difficult and most rewarding to me.

I'm looking into selling my lab right now, most of it purchased from certificationskits.com, use to be ciscokits.  I have a very nice sturdy Skeletek C16U-HD rack that rolls they're mounted on. Three 2950 switches, four 2600 routers, two of them XM with plenty ram (need to do a show ver.), on Pix 515-E firewall with 7.0 SAS, unrestricted licesnse. And... most importantly over time a simple 2509 terminal server with octal cable that consoles into each of the devices to not have to plug the console switch back and forth blah blah. Tedious.

Nothing like owning the real equipent, let me tell you. I know GNS3 or the other emulators are good, but just not the same at all, trust me.  I think I have about 1600 invested (wic2t module in one of the 2611xm routers) in all of this, I think I'd be willing to part with for almost half.  All this stuff is like an investment, cuz we can always resell, easily on ebay..

As for books, I bought and read them all, those videos were the absolute most helpful, Chris B. for subnetting Jeremy C. for overall fun and learning experience.  Lamelle's stuff is pretty good and CCNA all in one for dummies is the most up to date (not bad itself).  I'd steer clear of the Cisco Press, other than the Portabe Command Guides.

I have plenty to share if you need any help advice,  I spent ALOT of time and resources on the cisco exams...

Oh and P.S. although I'm going for my security training right now, let me tell you as soon as you have your CCNA and post your resume on monster or careerbuilder, the phone calls/ emails don't stop it is very very hot..
Last edited by MindOverMatter on Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Associate, CCNA, C|EH
<<

COm_BOY

Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:16 am

When it comes to cisco computer based CBT I will always recommend companies like INE or IPExpert since they are far more specialized and better in Cisco then anyother company like CBTNuggets .

http://www.ine.com/self-paced/ccna/boot ... a-bootcamp

Maybe 500USD is expensive for a training but its far more better then any normal Instructor Led though this one is Self Placed . Other then that they are offering 30% Discount at the moment on all self placed materials .

As book is concerned Todd Lammel is one of the best in CCNA .

When it comes to hardware I would recommend to concentrating on purchasing L3 Switching equipment rather then putting money on RTR because you can easily emulate them on GNS3 which rocks . IT works excellent if you have a linux box with 2GB of ram depending on how much routers you want to emulate . Consider getting and LXDE interface in linux which can help save some memory on GUI .
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.
<<

Beckman11

Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:23 am

@MindoverMatter - I appreciate your in dept post regarding this subject.

I just feel lost when I start to look and find so many different options that I could take.  My main concern is the home lab.  I want to build a lab but just am not sure what I need I am assuming the lab you have is what you used for CCNA studying.  I have found a few setups I think would work online but am always a little worried about it when it comes to that amount of money.  I guess as long as you have a couple switches and 2-3 routers you should be fine??? I will look into the other study material and see what I can allocate for this subject.  I am really wanting to learn Cisco products though since most companies use them and I am always trying to move up in the world :)
Security+
<<

rattis

Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:31 pm

lifestorie1,

If you really want to know what you'll need just for the CCNA, then go hit up a book store, flip through Todd Lammel's book. It'll give you an idea.

I just hit up my safari account, and pulled up Lammle's book. In Chapter 8 "I’m going to use a new 3560, a 2960, and a 3550 switch", and from chapter 4 " It doesn’t matter what series type router you use with these labs (i.e., 2500, 2600, 800, 1800, or 2800)".

However I know that 2500 doesn't do vlan routing, but the 2600 does.

I've used the Boson software emulators in the past, didn't care for it. I like having the physical hardware.

*edited to add info.
Last edited by rattis on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Beckman11

Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:18 pm

Well for a start I just purchased Todd Lammle's book so I will start with that and then see where I am at after a little reading.  Is the test going to be updated soon since it has been out for 3 years now?  I just want to take that into consideration before I drop a bunch of cash on hardware and other study material.  Since I do plan on learning this for the long hall and not just to be a cert collector.  I thought after hearing what you guys have said so far though I could at least start to read and begin to understand the concepts.  Thanks again so far for the help folks.
Security+
<<

MindOverMatter

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:22 pm

For CCNA studies, it's not neccessary to have a Layer 3 switch as they are a bit more expensive and only allow you to do routing, which is something you'll need for your CCNP (just passed the CCNP Switch exam not too long ago).

I purchased a 3550 which is the cheapest L3 switch you can get, but already ebayed it last week since they're hot right now.  I mean the next level up after a 3550 is a matter of hundreds of dollars..

Here is the perfect link (and recent) to consider buying a lab:

http://www.certskills.com/CLIOptions.aspx

There's nothing like having your own lab though, not only does it look super cool to have your rack, but you get the hands on experience of plugging and unplugging to different ports, switching out modules, upgrading memory if needed etc.  Things that virtual routers and switches won't get you.  So when you get a Cisco job you're familiar with the actual equipment from day one and don't look a bit confused or anything.
<<

MindOverMatter

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:29 pm

If you're seriously thinking about getting a lab and training material, I'm willing to sell off my CCNA equipment.  All the latest IOS' and everything you'd need to pass.. 

It's like my baby, but now that I'm concentrating on security, all these online classes and cert vouchers are adding up, so I figure I have to compromise..

Think about it and I guarantee you won't get a better deal than from me, but of course it depends on what to you would be breaking the bank..
PM me if anything. :)
<<

rattis

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:41 pm

I agree, the Layer3 switch is a little over kill... But You'll find the layer 3 boxes in the network, and it's nice to know how to route a router-on-a-stick method.

Besides, you'll have good equipment for a CCNP if you want, or to sell to your employer when they're in a pinch (not that I promote doing that).
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Pookie

Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:28 am

lifestorie1,

This thread has wasted so much of my time now...  Since reading your initial post and all of the intelligent, well thought out responses, I have decided my next cert will be CCNA (after I finish my Security+) and have already spent hours drooling over equipment for my lab.

Thanks for that  ;D
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+
<<

rattis

Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:23 am

Pookie wrote:lifestorie1,

This thread has wasted so much of my time now...  Since reading your initial post and all of the intelligent, well thought out responses, I have decided my next cert will be CCNA (after I finish my Security+) and have already spent hours drooling over equipment for my lab.

Thanks for that  ;D

Pookie - The next one I'm studying for is the CCNA too. After Sec+. But more because I'm getting more interviews for networking positions, than Linux/Unix/System Admin positions, and almost none for computer security positions.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Beckman11

Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:21 pm

@Pookie and Chrisj - I am glad I could ask helpful questions for not only myself but other people as well.  I just finished my Sec+ and am trying to get more into Linux and truly have a heart for security but am finding just like Chrisj is saying more things available in Cisco type environments.  Seems real interesting and this is the first I have truly messed with it but after reading a bit I plan on jumping into buying a home lab and am excited and yet still a little nervous  ;D
Security+
Next

Return to General Certification