Newbie - Advise and Suggestions

<<

missile

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:21 am

Newbie - Advise and Suggestions

Hi All,

Am Sriram from New York. This is my first post in eh.net. Am delighted that i found this community.

Am a Masters Graduate from NYU with specialization in Network Security, Information Security and Cryptography.
Prior to my masters degree, i have worked one year in Networks Operations Center of a multi-national company and also i have about 4 years of experience in freelancing, Software Development, providing web services, and network consulting.

Since my field of interest is Cyber Security and Penetration Testing, am planning to takeup the CEH.

I went through the detailed course structure and most of the things are the ones that i have already studied during my graduate studies. I might have to work on the labs though because the graduate program was like 40% practical and 60% theory.

So am planning to takeup the Self-Study path. I have a couple of doubts and i would highly appreciate if anyone could clarify it to me.

1) If i takeup the selfstudy path, is it mandatory that i have to buy the SelfStudy material from EC-COUNCIL or Career Academy or Quickcert to get the registration number / voucher number. Because, i already have the DVD's from Career Academy that my friend gave it to me. It is V6.0 and i think i can use it.

2) Though i have the DVD's, i don't have the hard copy materials / courseware. Is it necessary to study from the hard copy material. is there any alternative to that. I mean is there any other book that i can use to compensate that.

3) What other materials / videos / books  apart from the ECC courseware do you recommend..?

4) On an average, how many hours does a person prepare to successfully complete the CEH exam..?

Awaiting a quick response on this.
Thanks in advance,
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:38 am

Re: Newbie - Advise and Suggestions

Welcome to EH-Net.

No, you don't have to use the official courseware if you don't want to. There are a couple of other books available about the same subjects. You may browse through the forums to find some of them (eg CEH Certified Ethical Hacker Study Guide, Certified Ethical Hacker Exam Prep, Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide, etc.). I wrote some time ago a short review on EC-Council's iClass, maybe you find some useful info there as well.
How long one has to prepare for an exam in order to pass really depends on each individual, so it's hard to answer your last question in a general way.
<<

missile

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:56 am

Hey Awesec,

Thanks a lot for the advise. I was kind of confused because, one of the sales agent from one of the ACT of CEH told me that we have to either attend the in class training or we have to buy the study guide to get the requisition number so that we can schedule an exam with the Prometric.
So i thought asking people who have already written the exam is the best bet for me...

Oh thatz great. Its you who has written the review is it... Infact its because of your review, i landed in EH.net...

When i started researching about CEH, i was searching google about the how famous is CEH and what is its reputation in the industry.
Then i came across your article... later i read Daniel's review and finally landed up in the forums... Thanks for that review... it really helped.

Finally another question, how is reputation of CEH among the corporate companies.  Do they really value it / recognize it and give some weightage if a jobseeker is a CEH..??

thanks in advance...
<<

MindOverMatter

Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:04 pm

HI missile.  The only way to be able to sit for the exam is to get "permission" from EC-Council.. Either you buy / train with what and where they approve, allowing you to sit for the CEH Exam 312-50.

Or, prove at least two years of experience in a written letter from a current or previous employer.  This assumes that you self study (it doesn't count if you use their course material, but can't prove you didn't pay for it: torrent etc.).
Then they either sell you the voucher themselves or give you a code to register through Prometric or VUE, to sit for CEH Exam  EC0-350.

There is no difference in the end result of exam (as they are the same), per their site:
What is the difference between Exam 312-50 and Exam EC0-350?
EC-Council offers the Certified Ethical Hacker examination over two channels – the EC-Council Accredited Training Center (ATC) and the Authorized Prometric Testing Center (APTC). Only students who undergo training for CEH at any ATC are eligible to appear for the web based Prometric Prime exam (Exam 312-50).

Students who opt to pursue self study can appear for the exam EC0-350 at the Authorized Prometric Testing Center after they fulfill the examination eligibility criteria and produce the voucher number to Prometric.

In all other aspects the exams are identical in source and lead to the certification ‘Certified Ethical Hacker’.

I have emailed them and called them several times, sent them all the information and application neccessary to sit for the EC0-350, but they don't seem to respond (or take their sweet time).

I sent all my certification copies, experience, a written letter from 2 years of specific consulting I did (written and signed by ex-customer), including copy of drivers license etc.. All as requested, but nothing.. Been what seems a couple of weeks now..

Anyways that the skinny on my personal experience and info..
A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Associate, CCNA, C|EH
<<

SephStorm

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:06 am

MoM, If you send me your info, I will contact someone over on the EC-Council Member frums, or if nothing else, I have a contact who works over at EC-Council.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

MindOverMatter

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:40 pm

Hey SephStorm, thanks for the offer, if you think you have some pull that would be great, anything to expedite the process.. I mean it's like I'm the one giving them money, so don't know what they hold up is...

I have been in personal contact with a sales rep from their Albuquerque office Rebecca Baca (when I call and ask who to speak to she's the contact I got), but after several email and phone calls it seems nothing's happened, don't know if there's some special waiting verification period or what.. Let me know how you could help, I'm gonna try again tomorrow anyways.
A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Associate, CCNA, C|EH
<<

hungrymind

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi MindOverMatter,

Do let us know when you finally get a response from them.
I'm considering attempting the CEH exam sometime next year and will be going the self study route.

Looking forward to the updates.

hungrymind

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker