Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:46 pm

Review:CEH Certified Ethical Hacker Study Guide (2010) Kimberly Graves

Hi everyone!
Well, I just finished this book last night and it was a very easy read.  It's kind of hard to review in a way, because the book was well written and easy to understand, but it just doesn't seem to go into any depth at all.

Each chapter is very short, so no ADHD problems there lol, followed by 20 questions (which are also included on the CD).  The thing is, when reviewing a book such as a certification study guide, it difficult to say if it's good or not so good.  Why, because you can base it on the authors writing, the material covered in relation to the exam or both of course etc.

So, did Kimberly Graves write it well, yes I think she did, because it wasn't boring and went in a good logical order as to the exam blueprint etc.
However, it makes me wonder about the exam, is it really this easy… I mean I know you need to study more than one book of course (which I am doing), but at the end of the day I feel the CD that came with the book is the best part.  The book left me feeling… Well... Unfulfilled...  The CD comes with the book in pdf, flash cards and  a couple of exams other than the 20 questions that are presented at the end of each chapter.

I know this is a broad exam with so much that can be covered, but I feel I learned more, as well as vastly enjoyed a book such as the newest Hacking for Dummies.

On another, yet the same note… I have the online flash cards by Shon Harris, which I also had for my CCNP Switch exam and I have to say they are excellent.  For the $17 they cost me I am learning a heck of a lot more from this CEH book ($17 vs $60).  They are very detailed and each answer gives you an explanation that goes into more depth than this particular book.  So is this two reviews in one now? Hmm…. Could be..?

Anyways, I don’t want to recommend torrents or getting free stuff out there, since we are Ethical, but this book would be better borrowed if you know someone who has it…

The flash cards you can get from certflashcardsonline through Informit.  I’m open to any specific questions regarding this material.  Thanks for taking the time to read!
A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Associate, CCNA, C|EH