Career Path

<<

tanay

Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:47 am

Career Path

I am interested in the field od ethical hacking and would like to know what degrees do i need to have and colleges offer them.
<<

dreatheran

Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Career Path

A Computer Science degree would probably be your best bet, since it is more technical than Computer Information Systems.  If you want to get a job with the government when you get out, you may want to check out DoD Directive 8570.1 http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses ... tml.&nbsp; If you already have the required certification, then you are a step above some applicants who do not.  Current policy at my Air Force base is anyone with an admin account must have at least Security+.  Unfortunately they are adding a recertification requirement to Security+, much like CISSP CPEs.  But it does give DoD personnel an excuse to get more training.

You may want to check out the other posts in the career path section for more info.

Bret
-----------------
CISSP - MCITP
<<

rattis

Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Re: Career Path

There are also some schools that do Information Assurance. I know of a local school around here, and it's recognized by the GOV (http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach ... ions.shtml). They've said that 99% of the grads of the program (at the local school) get jobs at graduation. Most are with the government though.

I've got a 2 year degree in CIS, and expired CCNA, the OSWP and Sec+. My day today is maintaining Linux servers, Firewalls, VPN, Networks and doing analysis to figure out why things are slow.

The 4 year degree helps, but not always required, it's what you learn and show you know.
OSWP, Sec+

Return to Career Central