Motivation for Learning, Certifications and Current Media...

<<

MindOverMatter

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:37 pm

Motivation for Learning, Certifications and Current Media...

I guess everyone got started in the IT industry  some way or another, whether just fascination with technology, following in a siblings footsteps or because it pays well....

Personally, I've always had a burning passion for technology, particularly the whole hacking culture.  Not so much the aspect of being able to break into something, but more so the fact that a "hacker" has to be like MacGyver.. He/she has to know a bit of everything in the IT world, from simple fixing of pc's, to in depth networking to programming, or even picking a lock etc..

What first gave me the big WOW of my life, to make me think, I want to know/ be able to do this.. Was when I first watched T2 in the theaters on opening day. In particular, the scene where John hacks into the ATM machine to get easy cash for video games.. That was it for me, no turning back... Super fascination, mom I WANT A LAPTOP! lol..

Anyways, I've found way later in life, since about 2000 when I started my in depth IT training and certification paths, that it's always great to have something to watch or read, that keeps me motivated.

The lack of accurate material out there is shameful.. I mean I loved the first Matrix, Sneakers was okay, but movies like Hackers with Jolie or anything that ever portrays true Information Security is always very inaccurate or just dumb down for the “non technical”.  So I always search for the best fiction cyber thrillers out there to read or listen to after I’m just like “damn I’m tired of computers!”.  It reminds me why I love all of this and rekindles that spark..

I find that the best book I’ve read in a long time that’s actually seemed feasible and was exciting and accurate is Daemon by Daniel Suarez, his follow up Freedom, wasn’t as good, but was needed for closure.  Most other books are either too dated, or just don’t show any true technicalities.
I really hope to see more good books like Daemon come out for us “geeks” , who truly understand the real concepts come out soon and from now on.  Hollywood, well they’ll probably be ten years behind if even that..

Any recommendations out there?
Just a random rant...
A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Associate, CCNA, C|EH
<<

Triban

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:40 pm

Re: Motivation for Learning, Certifications and Current Media...

Daemon was excellent!  Made me think wow!  this could actually be semi-plausible.  Well not all of it but the programming behind the original daemon.  Have a program constantly scouring the net for media related to ones own death and then have it trigger other programs based on conditions.  Wild stuff!! I can see how Freedom won't be as good but yeah I too need to read it just to find out what happened.

But yeah I hear you about needing the refresh.  My latest was a new job and the first official Security job. 
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

rattis

Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:22 am

I liked Freedom(TM) more than Daemon. Daemon had some great parts and action, but Freedom(TM) struck me to being a lot closer to today than Daemon did.

I could go into my reasons why, but I don't have time to pull supporting links to my points.

Anyway. If you haven't, even though it's non-fiction, read The Cuckoo's Egg. Good stuff
OSWP, Sec+
<<

MindOverMatter

Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi Triban, congrats on your first new security job, I'm sure it'll be great!

chrisj, I guess it is pretty close on those too, what I liked about Freedom(TM) was the whole aspect of the HUD glasses and the different uses/things they were capable of. 

It seems not too far off, as how they were able to read anyone's financial data and similar things through them, such as wouldn't be too far off today, but to a much lesser sci-fi extent (yet..).

I have Cuckoo's Egg, but haven't read it in years, but you're right it is great!

When I have time to get into my next fiction techno book, I think I'm going to look into Storm by Dave Pearson and Fatal System Error: The Hunt for the New Crime Lords Who Are Bringing Down the Internet ...
<<

rattis

Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:41 pm

I've been playing catch up in the pod-casts... but I thin it was Pauldotcom 207, where the guest was talking about RFID, and how malls wanted to start using them to track where you are in mall. What you've bought, etc.

2 of the hosts brought up the scene from Freedom(tm) because it sounded like what they were doing in the mall with the HUD glasses.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

MindOverMatter

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Hey chrisj, good thing you mentioned it, because the only pod-casts I've listened to so far are the Pauldotcom ones, the last two being the interview/discussions with Mati, which I found very interesting!

I like to listen to stuff like this before bed sometimes and this cast is cool, since I can play it through my Android phone, a lot require iPod.. Any other non iPod specific casts you can recommend?
<<

rattis

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:35 pm

There are 4 I listen to.

Pauldotcom
Tenneable Network Security Podcast (Paul from Pauldotcom)
Network Security Podcast

And lastly,

Exotic Liability

Now I'm curious what everyone else listens too.
OSWP, Sec+

Return to Other