Passed Sec+ - want to keep going

<<

Beckman11

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:20 pm

Passed Sec+ - want to keep going

Well thanks to a lot of hard work I have passed the CompTIA security+ exam on my first try.  This is my first cert taken in the IT field. I am excited and a little scared at the same time as I think about continuing into some more intense certs.  I understand that the sec+ exam is pretty basic in the big picture.  Although I am glad to get the knowledge I have learned from this experience. I want to go towards the CCNA next I have no experience with CISCO products yet, but have  the determination to learn them.  Just need to get my hands on the right equipment.  any ideas on equipment for a small home lab??? My whole goal here is to learn about security as much as possible I love it.  Anyone have any ideas on what else would peak my interest in the security world??? Thanks
Security+
<<

dante

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:57 pm

Re: Passed Sec+ - want to keep going

Beckman11 wrote:Just need to get my hands on the right equipment.  any ideas on equipment for a small home lab??? My whole goal here is to learn about security as much as possible I love it. 

Simulators are an option here.
http://www.gns3.net/
http://dynagen.org/&nbsp;

Beckman11 wrote:Anyone have any ideas on what else would peak my interest in the security world???

This might interest you.
www.sans.org/20coolestcareers/
<<

rattis

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:10 pm

While you said you're going after a CCNA, look into the hardware for the CCNP. I used to say look in the Todd Lammle book, and get what he suggest (3500 series if I'm recalling correctly).

However I've rarely see the CCNA lab equipment in corporate environments. At least not at the small sample size I have from where I've worked.

I've had both hardware, and Simulators. I prefer the hardware.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Beckman11

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:33 pm

@dante
I have lloked at both of the simulators you have mentioned...the only problem is I dont have the iOS so I would need to buy that I guess???  If I go the hardware route would I get the iOS with the purchased HW?
Security+
<<

dante

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:53 pm

I believe you will be allowed to download the IOS from Cisco site if you purchase a cisco product . Not sure. Please confirm it before buying.

Also check this out
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/17111
Last edited by dante on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Beckman11

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:27 pm

so I guess I am wronf in assuming if I buy some old cisco hardware off ebay that I get the iOS as well with it?
Security+
<<

rattis

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:00 pm

You'll get the iOS that is currently installed on it. That doesn't mean you'll get disks or anything. They could wipe it too... However the last batch of gear I bought off ebay, still had the configs on them.

It's a crap shoot. But at least ask them to prove the device will post before buying it.
OSWP, Sec+

Return to General Certification