Exam soon!

<<

zeroflaw

Post Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:14 am

Exam soon!

Hey guys!

I've been away for a while..being very very busy. Just finished my report for my internship yesterday. And now my OSCP exam starts in like 2 hours! Unfortunately I've been so busy that I haven't really prepared and I've just started on writing the report.

I'll keep you guys informed!
ZF
<<

Darktaurus

Post Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:23 pm

Re: Exam soon!

Good luck!!!! I hope all the studying and training can help you thru it.  I will finally be able to take the OSCP training next month.  Finally!  Please tell us how you think you did when you are done.  Again, good luck ZF!!
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com
<<

COm_BOY

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:53 am

fingers crossed  :D
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.
<<

hayabusa

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:57 am

Good luck, zeroflaw!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

zeroflaw

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:10 pm

Ugh....guys I failed.

I concentrated on getting the machines with the highest point values. The first one was kinda easy..though it took me a long time. The second one I managed to get a low priv shell on. This got me so frustrated that I kept trying till there was no time left for the other machines. Only managed to get some command execution on another machine.

Though, I did sort of better than I expected. I've been really busy as I mentioned before..and probably am close to a burn-out. So with a month of no practice, I think I shouldn't feel too bad about this.

I'm not really sure when I'll be ready for another try, but I'm glad I didn't give up at any point. I only had like 3 hours of sleep and took very short breaks. I know that next time I just have to manage my time better, and I should be okay...at least I hope.
Last edited by zeroflaw on Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZF
<<

hayabusa

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:48 pm

Time management was key, for me.  Now that you've got at least a 'feel' for how things go, hopefully your second attempt will be much easier for you, and you can move through multiple machines a bit more methodically, without letting any one machine slow you down too much.

Sorry to hear about failure, but I'm glad you're not too bummed about it!

Good luck on your next attempt!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:35 pm

Sorry to hear about the results zeroflaw I'm sure you'll do better the second time around. Luckily the certification retake is affordable and you have an idea of the examination scope along with a clearer idea of how to go about it next time.

Sad to hear you went a month with no practice, it may be smart even purchasing 15 more days lab time just to get your mind back in the game and schedule the exam within a few days within your lab time ending. I hear you on getting a low-privileged shell on the machine and not having the time to root up, this is what kept me from getting a perfect score. Definitely backing hayabusa here when he says,
Time management was key, for me.
. This is a necessity for this exam!
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

rattis

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:36 pm

Sorry to hear about that. Is it possible to attack multiple machines at once? ( I can understand if you can't say).

I have faith you're blow through it the next time. Take some time off and re-charge. Being burnt out sucks. I've been there a few times.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

caissyd

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:56 am

Join the club zeroflaw!

j0rDy and I also failed our first attempt. I am trying again in less than two weeks. I will keep you guys posted.

This is indeed a very tough exam. I would love to see the difference between OSCP v2 and OSCP v3. Was people failing as much in version 2? Only the guys at Offensive-Security know...

But sure thing is sure, it is feasable!  ;)
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:38 am

chrisj wrote:Sorry to hear about that. Is it possible to attack multiple machines at once? ( I can understand if you can't say).

What I'll say (to be safe, all around) is, 'It's a realistic exam.  Expect that you can do what you'd be able to do in a real pentest situation, as well as in the labs.'  That said, though, just as in real-life, I'd highly suggest an efficient way of taking notes and keeping machine data separate, so as not to confuse yourself more, and cost yourself valuable time, in doing so.

There are things I can't share about the exam, and so I won't.  But the folks at Offensive Security have definitely created a challenging exam, and so time management is of the essence, and my advice is, as previously noted, if you're hung up on a machine, lock in your notes for later review and use, but move on to another box(es), so as not to burn too much time.  24 hours IS plenty of time, if you're well-versed, and you have a good grasp on data management, etc.  But if those areas aren't well thought out, in your gameplan, then 24 hours will seem to go very quickly, and you'll be feeling the time ticking away.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

apollo

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:18 am

There is another aspect to remember here in addition to the time management.  Your bonus points from the class (I assume you did them, if you didn't get started now) apply to your final score.  So, you don't have to get everything, you just have to get enough points to add up with your bonus points to pass.  I would say don't shoot for 100%, instead, evaluate what you are working with before you start concentrating on anything.

The points are important, but before you set out to own anything, get your recon done.  Figure out what you are dealing with. Don't spend more than the allotted time on any one box.  Document everything you do, and then if you have extra time once you've gotten other objectives go back and finish.  By getting as much info as you can about all the boxes, you have the opportunity for them to determine what amount of credit you get for each objective.  If you haven't done anything, there is no room to give you the benefit of the doubt.
CISSP, CSSLP, MCSE+Security, MCTS, CCSP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCWN, NOP, OSCP, Security+
<<

caissyd

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 am

So, you don't have to get everything, you just have to get enough points to add up with your bonus points to pass.

I have heard that too (and it is written down in their documentation), but in my case, I got 60% in the exam (I needed 70%) and my work in the lab didn't add a single point! I ask them and their answer basically was: you didn't pass the exam.

So don't count on this too much...  :-[
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

MaXe

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:38 pm

H1t M0nk3y wrote:
So, you don't have to get everything, you just have to get enough points to add up with your bonus points to pass.

I have heard that too (and it is written down in their documentation), but in my case, I got 60% in the exam (I needed 70%) and my work in the lab didn't add a single point! I ask them and their answer basically was: you didn't pass the exam.

So don't count on this too much...  :-[

If you just want to claim your ISC2 points then it's enough by either passing the exam or by submitting your lab documentation as far as I know.

However with the exam it is required no matter what, that you achieve a certain amount of points in order to pass. For OSCE it's slightly above 80% if you convert the amount of points to percentage.

If you calculate a very good attempt (as in being very close to completing the minimum requirements), then I was around 70-75% during my first attempt and this week I am going to have my second attempt. It's not going to be easy but after all it's OSCE, good luck to all of you taking / doing OSCP or OSCE  ;D

I am aiming at 100% this time  :D
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

apollo

Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:45 am

Good luck! OSCE was extremely challenging.  Knowing what you do now, I'm sure it will help a lot on the next attempt.  Let us know how you do! 

H1t M0nk3y, that wasn't my understanding, so thanks for sharing your experience. 
CISSP, CSSLP, MCSE+Security, MCTS, CCSP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCWN, NOP, OSCP, Security+
<<

j0rDy

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:10 am

hey ZF, too bad you didnt pass! Just got back from a small (but well deserved) holiday and jumped right into work again, which is just killing at the moment. I will start to pick up on OSCP again tonight. Lets hope things will slow down soon so i will have a little more time to hang around with you guys ;).
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
Next

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional