Beautiful Security - an amazing book

<<

alucian

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:47 am

Beautiful Security - an amazing book

Hello guys,
Lately I had the chance to read “Beautiful Security” and I found it an amazing book. Every chapter covers a different subject and it is written by a SME in his field.

Just to give you an idea:
Ch 7. The Evolution of PGP’s Web of Trust is written by the creator of the PGP – Phil Zimmermann
Ch 13. Beautiful Log Handling is written by Dr. Anton Chuvakin
CH 4. The economy of security breaches (one of my favourites) is written by Dr. Chenxi Wang from Forrester
and many more.

This is not an extremely technical book, and the authors explain why security is so beautiful, everyone speaking about a different field.

There some stories in the book, they are speaking about current problems and concepts, and there are many advices that everyone can benefit from. I took many notes from this book on how to improve some processes on my company. Also, there are some concepts  I would like to implement in my company in order to improve security.

I recommend this book to everyone that does security, and some of the chapters must be read by the non-security people in that specific department (for example the developers should read Ch10 Security by design, the managers ch 1,3,4 and so on).

Hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I did.
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

DrivinTin

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:59 am

Re: Beautiful Security - an amazing book

Thanks for that write up. I have not even seen this one slide by. The reviews on amazon are great too. Downloading on my Kindle as I type.
Currently working on:
A UAV Project
Speaking and conferences
<<

Valkyrja

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:49 pm

Another thank you for the write up. I will probably grab this for my Nook to read through after I finish the other two books I am currently reading.
<<

tturner

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:27 pm

I had the opportunity to write a chapter for this book on disaster recovery but unfortunately could not meet the rather insane deadline they set for me due to an incredibly busy work schedule. I now wish I had made the time to do it, have heard a few people talk about how much they like the book.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

millwalll

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:09 am

Sounds a good read maybe get a copy if I ever finish my current books I am reading.

Return to Book Reviews