help with a question about firewalls

<<

queen

Post Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:19 am

help with a question about firewalls

I am learning now for the exam ceh v6. I came across the following question:

<question>True or False?  A firewall protects networked computers from intentional hostile intrusion that could compromise confidentiality or result in data corruption or denial of service. It may be a hardware device or a software program running on a secure host computer. Hardware Firewall is easy to penetrate as compared to Software basic Firewall. </question>
<answer Correct="Yes">True</answer>
<answer Correct="No">False</answer>

<feedbackonincorrect>
True. A hardware firewall is a small metal box filled with plug openings, or ports. You hook your computer network into the box then set it up on your computer, Hardware firewall offer better performance than software version.

The first 2 sentences are correct. But I disagree with the third question that hardware firewall is easier to penetrate compared to software. Moreover, the reason that "Hardware firewall offer better performance than software version." doesn't have to do anything with penetration ease. So, if 2 sentences are correct and one is incorrect, than the overall answer should be false.

My questions:
1. Is it a typo mistake in the selection of the answer?
2. Do they really mean that hardware firewall is easier to penetrate?  If yes, what would be the reason.
3. Am I missing something?

Any input into this topic to shed some light will be highly appreciated.

Queen
<<

COm_BOY

Post Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: help with a question about firewalls

When anyone talks about hardware firewalls they doesn't mean that there is no software with that box . Lets take a Cisco PIX/ASA or Juniper SSG , they do have propriety softwares included with them . On the other hand software based firewalls would mean linux based firewalls or simillar products ( they can also be appliance based )  .

In my opinion the statement is wrong since hardware based firewalls does not operate on x86 arch or similar and thus are harder to penetrate . Also hardware firewalls offer better performance since they are made to work for specific purpose and not for hosting email servers or proxy servers etc , which we can do it with Linux or any other operating systems.
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.
<<

queen

Post Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:52 pm

Thank you. I agree with you. 

I will be happy to see a reply from those who wrote these questions and answers and correct us if needed.
<<

COm_BOY

Post Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:53 pm

Is this question from CEH officall stuff ? I doubt . If they are from dumps , I would like to add that never rely on dump's answers .... however you can use them for an idea how will the exam be  ;D
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.
<<

queen

Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:11 pm

COm_BOY wrote:Is this question from CEH officall stuff ? I doubt . If they are from dumps , I would like to add that never rely on dump's answers .... however you can use them for an idea how will the exam be  ;D

Yes, it is from the official CEH stuff, Career Academy boot Camp. To each module with video there is review_quiz.

I found in other places some mistakes. It was a question about WEP.

see below:
<question>
                        WEP is used on 802.11 networks, what was it designed for?
                </question>
                <answer Correct="No">
                        WEP is designed to provide a wireless local area network (WLAN) with a level of security and privacy comparable to what it usually expected of a wired LAN.
                </answer>
                <answer Correct="Yes">
                        WEP is designed to provide strong encryption to a wireless local area network (WLAN) with a lever of integrity and privacy adequate for sensible but unclassified information.
                </answer>
                <answer Correct="No">
                        WEP is designed to provide a wireless local area network (WLAN) with a level of availability and
privacy comparable to what is usually expected of a wired LAN.
                </answer>
                <answer Correct="No">
                        WEP is designed to provide a wireless local area network (WLAN) with a level of privacy comparable
to what it usually expected of a wired LAN.
                </answer>

Their answer is option 2. In my opinion it should be option 1, but I might be wrong. Maybe in their opinion, it's 2 because of the word encryption.  Will be glad to hear your opinion.
<<

COm_BOY

Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:27 pm

Thats the problem with written exams !! There are times when multiple answers are said to be correct but you have to choose one :P
<<

queen

Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:43 pm

COm_BOY wrote:Thats the problem with written exams !! There are times when multiple answers are said to be correct but you have to choose one :P

But what would be the correct answer in your opinion to that question?
<<

COm_BOY

Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:23 pm

It stands for Wired Equivalent Privacy so I think first one would be the answer .
<<

queen

Post Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:40 pm

Thanks. ;-)

I hope that such errors won't happen at the exam.

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker