.

OSCP Advice

<<

jstall

Newbie
Newbie

Posts: 3

Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:53 am

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:04 pm

OSCP Advice

I am considering taking this course to complement my current qualifications (CCNA Security, GCIA, GCIH), however I have a few questions that I am hoping someone can help with.

What do I need to provide, can I use a VM or do I need to have a dedicated system, and do I need to use a specific version of Backtrack or is one provided/recommended?

I am confident about my networking (TCP/IP) skills and my Linux skills are reasonable (can navigate, manipulate files, users, groups, permissions, daemons etc) but scripting is something I have not done a lot of, is this a requirement for the course, if so which scripting language would best reward the time investment? I do understand programming, I write assembly (Z80 and MC68K) to a reasonable standard, but aside from a (very) small amount of C I have not used any high level scripting languages.

Any answers/advice would be welcome.

Thanks.
CCNA Security, GCIA, GCIH
<<

caissyd

User avatar

Hero Member
Hero Member

Posts: 894

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:20 am

Location: Ottawa, Canada

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: OSCP Advice

Welcome on this forum!

You can use a VM (I did for many months). I personaly use the latest version of Backtrack (version 4, Release 1). I suggest you do the same.

Based on your skills, you have more than enough to start this course. If you need some scripting knowledge (and you do!), they will teach you what you need.

Here is a good review: http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/272/24/
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

dante

User avatar

Jr. Member
Jr. Member

Posts: 58

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:17 pm

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:30 pm

Re: OSCP Advice

jstall wrote:What do I need to provide, can I use a VM or do I need to have a dedicated system, and do I need to use a specific version of Backtrack or is one provided/recommended?

Yes a VM is sufficient and you will be given a link to backtrack VM image that is in tune with the manual provided.

jstall wrote:I am confident about my networking (TCP/IP) skills and my Linux skills are reasonable (can navigate, manipulate files, users, groups, permissions, daemons etc) but scripting is something I have not done a lot of, is this a requirement for the course, if so which scripting language would best reward the time investment? I do understand programming, I write assembly (Z80 and MC68K) to a reasonable standard, but aside from a (very) small amount of C I have not used any high level scripting languages.

Any answers/advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

There are couple of programming exercises but none requires expert knowledge. As you are able to read programs, I believe you will be right at home with the programming exercises. I would suggest python for this course. Learn to write simple network related programs with python. But it really doesnt matter if you choose ruby, perl.
As you write assembly that is gonna definitely help with exploit-development and understanding buffer overflows.
Good luck.
Last edited by dante on Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

rattis

User avatar

Hero Member
Hero Member

Posts: 1172

Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:25 pm

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: OSCP Advice

H1t M0nk3y wrote:
Based on your skills, you have more than enough to start this course. If you need some scripting knowledge (and you do!), they will teach you what you need.


What scripting to they teach H1t M0nk3y? Language. Should a student have some background in it first?
OSWP, Sec+
<<

caissyd

User avatar

Hero Member
Hero Member

Posts: 894

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:20 am

Location: Ottawa, Canada

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: OSCP Advice

They start with normal unix shell script to do simple tasks, then they use python.

Honestly, the course is very well written, so you don't have to worry about this. It's the easy part of the course!  ;)
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

jstall

Newbie
Newbie

Posts: 3

Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:53 am

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: OSCP Advice

I appreciate the feedback, I will be signing up this week, I will also grab a Python book.

Thank you
CCNA Security, GCIA, GCIH
<<

rattis

User avatar

Hero Member
Hero Member

Posts: 1172

Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:25 pm

Post Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:14 am

Re: OSCP Advice

jstall wrote:

I appreciate the feedback, I will be signing up this week, I will also grab a Python book.

Thank you


I've been recommended this book in a different thread on the site.

http://diveintopython3.org/
OSWP, Sec+
<<

ssherei

Newbie
Newbie

Posts: 16

Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 5:56 pm

Location: EGY

Post Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:33 pm

Re: OSCP Advice

you will be provided with a custom BT4 VM image with extra stuff specifically for Offsec students, and it looks to me as if you are ready , and BTW u will learn allot about scripting within the course.
Last edited by ssherei on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSCE, OSCP

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

.
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software