Help Promote EH-Net

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:41 pm

Help Promote EH-Net

Now that we have seen traffic grow, it's time to start getting the word out there about all of the great work that you guys do and pull more out of the woodworks. There are several ways to help our community grow. Here are just a few:

1. Vote for us using the links at the bottom of the right column. Progenic gives us the most clicks in return, but voting for all three helps. Just like it is here in Chicago - vote often.  ;)
2. Review this site on Alexa.
3. Link to us from your site or other places / forums you visit. More links = higher placement on search engines.
4. If you were going to buy any products or attend any security training, use our affiliate links or simply tell them we sent you. It helps them continue to sponsor the Free Monthly Giveaways... and we all love those don't we?

For you lurkers out there...
I know the info on this site has helped you. Why not become a member? Ask anyone, we don't inundate you with spam. In fact, it's rare that we send email blasts more than once every other month if that much. And we don't sell our email list.

For those members who have not posted...
What are you waiting for? There are $1000s in prizes just waiting to be taken! Introduce yourself, tell us how you found the site, what you think of it, thoughts on new things you'd like to see. Hell... tell us we suck! You took the time to register, at least post once. We should always strive to have more topics (not posts) than members.

Thanks in advance for any and all efforts,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Kev

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:37 am

Re: Help Promote EH-Net

As with most forums, we have a lot of lurkers.  Sometimes people are afraid to post because they are worried about looking stupid. To that I say “please don’t forget this is the internet and it doesn’t matter!” 

If you have a question or a thought, just post it and don’t worry so much. This is about the only hacker forum that you wont get totally flamed on so you should take advantage of the opportunity!
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:16 pm

You make a great point. For those lurkers out there who are newbies to security or pen testing, check out some of the posts by other newbies. No matter how simplistic their questions may be, they got respectful and prompt replies from some really smart people.

For those lurkers who are security pros, we could use your expertise as we try to pass on our knowledge to an up and coming group of young IT studs.

Don
<<

tmartin

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:27 pm

I have been here since the beginning and can assure you that Don won't spam you or sell you off.

I also encourage lurkers to go for it, take a risk. Or even ask about an issue that you're having at work. That can start some good discussion.

However, I have to disagree with the statement that “please don’t forget this is the internet and it doesn’t matter!” Yes, it's okay to look foolish now and then, but the internet is forever, and you don't want anything coming back to haunt you. So keep company names and identifying details out of your posts and questions.

No risk, no reward...
<<

Kev

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:59 am

We really need to keep getting the word out for this site. Why? Not just because the more active it gets the more interesting it is. Sure that’s cool, but I think there is even a more important reason.  We need to have a place that will review and keep companies that are selling boot camps and CEH material accountable.  Many of these companies are doing a good job, but unfortunately I am hearing about a few that are a rip-off.  Negative things like that can hurt the entire idea of the CEH certification, which is really still in its infancy.  My feeling is, if there is an extremely popular venue on the web that has reviews concerning such things, it will keep vendors on their toes and make sure people are treated correctly and that in turn will help with the image and legitimacy of the CEH.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:10 pm

Thanks for the post. But keep in mind, this site is named ethicalhacker.net and not certifiedethicalhacker.net. So, although I agree with you completely, the CEH is just a small part of this site. There are multiple ethical hacking / pen testing certs on the site as well as other cert topics. And, of course, the majority of the site deals with non-cert issues.

OK, I'll get off my promotional soap box now.

All of the support this site gets from all readers (members and non-members) really does humble me and reminds me that it is in the nature of those in the IT industry to give back.

Thanks to all,
Don
<<

oyle

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:30 pm

I've been away for a while, but I'm still here. Just in the process of joing Malware Removal University and I put in my signature that I'm a moderator of the CEH study group. I'm trying to put the word out.

Been working on taking down phishing sites. The queue of phish sites has grown, they need all available handlers to work on reducing it.

Been helping an elderly customer in Mississippi with an Excel spreadsheet to help her with distributions of her estate to relatives. Of course, she doesn't know anything about Excel.

Working on joining ASAP, the (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals). I need to be able to show my involvement in security-related websites, and a sponsor or two would be a help, as well. Don? Dengar? Negrita?  ;D

I actually have a lot going on!
Last edited by oyle on Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE(NT4/W2K), CCNA, CCA, NWCCC, VH-PIRTS, CEH
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

From 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k: "the ten laws of geek", law x
                  -Tapeworm
<<

Kev

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:53 pm

Nice to see you still around Bro!  ;D
<<

talkinelf

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:21 pm

i have noticed that this topic is 6 months old however dont see much involvement of members in the discussions. i think we need to team up and promote more discussions in the forum and involvement of more members.
<<

linuxstarved

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:36 pm

I too am guilty of not spending more time in the forums.  We all have "things" going on that tears us away from being here, but spending even a few hours a week will make a big difference. 

The easiest way to get our name out is to be attentive to new posters and keeping the forum moving.  Word of mouth is what will help to propel EH.net to its full potential.

just my 13 pesos
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:17 pm

Something new to help support EH-Net...

If you haven't noticed, we now have a new logo on the right-side menu. If you click on the SANS logo and register for one of their event, then they know you came from EH-Net. This will help as we move ever closer to getting SANS to participate in ChicagoCon. ;D

If you forget to use the link, please be sure to tell them, email them or put in their sign-up form that EH-Net sent you. We will soon have a referral code from SANS, but it hasn't been completely setup yet.

Just in case:
SANS homepage http://www.sans.org/info/5371
GCIH http://www.giac.org/info/5386
GIAC homepage http://www.giac.org/info/5371
SANSFIRE http://www.sans.org/info/5381
GCFA http://www.giac.org/info/5391

Thanks in advance,
Don
<<

oneeyedcarmen

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:18 pm

I just felt that this thread needed a bump.

I'm relatively new to the security field, and IT in general.  This site as well as LSO, and the forum members of both, have greatly helped in my education. 

Thanks to Don, Negrita, Chris, Craig, BillV, jimbob and everyone else who I continue to look to for their experience and guidance.

Don, I just had a boot-camp with Vigilar (as you may remember) and made sure to let everyone know about your endeavors.

-Brian
Reluctant CISSP, Certified ASS
<<

Negrita

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:08 pm

It's my pleasure oneeyedcarmen.  :D
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:39 am

I will say thay you all have been quite kind to a newb. I look forward to becomeing a more productive member as I gain more experience in the IT Security world. Thanks for all the help.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

RobMongoose

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:37 pm

Another bump... :P

Maybe it would be useful to have some banners for the site that could be embedded elsewhere. Just a lump of HTML that I could graft onto my blog to show a link? I have a link to here anyhow, but a banner would be more eye-catching.
Mutterings of an evil genius in training -
http://robmongoose.blogspot.com/
Next

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net