Assembly Language use for Networking

Is Assembly language can be appropritae for networking purposes?

Advantages
No votes
Disadvantages
100%

Total votes : 1
<<

sh4vL10n

Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:19 am

Assembly Language use for Networking

Guys Wanna help me out? I'm learning C now, a little bout Perl, Java and Python. I am trying to learn assembly as it is best enhancements but i want to focus on network exploiting with better automation and speed. I need Ideas Guys... :)
<<

mallaigh

Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: Assembly Language use for Networking

Recently Awesec wrote a review on The Art of Assembly Language 2nd Ed http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/319/1/.  Its on the front page.  

Oh and search the forums, and you will find the answer to your question.
<<

sh4vL10n

Post Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:03 am

Malaigh thanks for it by i already had that... I just wanted to know if it could be suited for networking.. cause from my readings about assembly programming, it focuses on a specific architecture. but now a days the more common processor is x86 and  i just thought in mind if i cud use it for networking to develop some applications or maybe a small system enhanced with its speed, as assembly is known with it..
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:35 am

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. You can certainly use assembly for networking. If you were writing a tool from scratch, it would be beneficial to use a higher-level language (although, using assembly would be a great exercise). You're not going to see performance improvements since the network, not the system resources, will likely be the bottleneck. You'll use assembly more on the exploitation/reverse-engineering side of things.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

mallaigh

Post Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:52 pm

sh4vL10n wrote:Malaigh thanks for it by i already had that... I just wanted to know if it could be suited for networking.. cause from my readings about assembly programming, it focuses on a specific architecture. but now a days the more common processor is x86 and  i just thought in mind if i cud use it for networking to develop some applications or maybe a small system enhanced with its speed, as assembly is known with it..

Sorry about that; I also wasn't quite sure what you were asking.  Its been a while since I have used assembly (a machine logic class), but as I'm sure you know assembly is a low level language.  In comparison to C (or pick any of the other languages you mentioned), it takes a lot more code (in assembly) to achieve the same/similar task in comparison to a high level language
<<

b1u3

Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Modern compilers do a great job of turning C into assembly or machine language ;) . But if you really wanted to learn assembly, Professional Assembly Language (Programmer to Programmer) is another (dated but still good) resource.
<<

manoj9372

Post Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:03 am

TBH i don't know asm,

but this is what i felt from my experience,Assembly language is a very-useful one ,it can be used in network related purposes,I will explain with you an example,i am sure you are aware of the "stuxnet" worm,Assume you as one of the Administrator of a high profile network, and you have been detected signs of a "unknown" in your network,if you  are equipped with Assembly language you can Disassemble or study the internal operations of the worm and can implement a solution of your own before any severe damage happens to your network,it would be more handy for an administrator if a network is facing attacks from a "unknown" worm or unknown malware attacks..

Sorry if my story bored you ;D

here are some helpful links for you
  Code:
http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Assembly-Language-Programmer/dp/0764579010/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1287317491&sr=8-4

Return to Programming