Learn Security Online

<<

BlueEyedSamurai

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:07 am

Learn Security Online

In another forum topic, xXxKrisxXx made reference to a site called Learn Security Online:

'If your looking to go a cheaper route and want to get your hands dirty for a cheap price, Learn Security Online has a beginners course called  "So You Wanna Be A Pentester". For $300 and access to the LSO lab environment to test your skills, this one's a steal.'

Here is the site for reference: http://www.learnsecurityonline.com/index.php

I was browsing around on this site today and couldn't really fine anything recently posted as far as this class goes, nor could I find an email address to ask questions of them.

To the best of your knowledge, is this still an active site? If so, have any of you used this site and would you recommend it? I am looking to get my feet wet in the Ethical Hacking/Pen Testing realm and would like some feedback on this site, or another if you know of.

Thank you in advance,

-Samurai
<<

impelse

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:09 am

Re: Learn Security Online

I read that they will do some upgrade to the training.

I am taking www.elearnsecurity.com training, I took the monthly payment, and it is ok for a beginner to medium.
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

KrisTeason

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:46 pm

Hey BlueEyedSamurai,

Welcome to the forums. If you have a question about the course you could shoot them a question at: contactus@elearnsecurity.com

I'm in the training now currently and although I haven't been utilizing it much, I've gone through some of the slides and back up impelse where he says,
it is ok for a beginner to medium.

The sites still active and they've added a forum area for their students as well as a feedback section where they take folks' ideas and consider implementing them into the course.

-Kris
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

BlueEyedSamurai

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Thanks Kris, it's good to be here.

And thanks for the email address. I am going to email them for additional information. I do understand that it is meant for a beginner to medium, and that's fine because that is the level I am at anyways. I am currently studying for the 70-642 exam, and just want something extra to play with until I am done and I can move onto CEH or OCSP.

-Samurai
<<

Jhaddix

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:50 pm

Hey BlueEyedSamurai,

I know the authors pretty well, they have some good stuff. Right now they are trying to restructure the course. You should email joe@learnsecurityonline.com and ask him what he's got going on atm.
<<

mallaigh

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:36 am

I just wanted to clarify something I noticed.  The OP is asking about http://www.learnsecurityonline.com/ which != http://www.elearnsecurity.com/ that xXxKrisxXx and impelse are referring too.  They are different companies with about a $300 price difference. 
The email Jhaddix provided an email for Joe, who runs learnsecurityonline.com. 
I don't know which is better a "better bang for the buck" as I haven't taken either course.  I hear elearnsecurity.com requires additional outside research.
Last edited by mallaigh on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

KrisTeason

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:26 pm

From what I'm getting from Jhaddix's post, I think he's telling Impelse to hold off for a little while before taking elearnsecurity's course since they're reconstructing it. This is good criticism because I don't know what version the course is at currently and I think the updates going to be large. I'm really hoping they plan on implementing VPN labs into the course (Like how LSO and Offensive-Security has in their courses).

Taken from elearnsecurity's site:
You purchased version 1.x and the update is still in the 1.x release. (This means that you're not entitled to receive 2.0).

It'd be disappointing if you bought the course at it's current version and this updates so large they consider making it 2.0 and you don't get access to content Samurai. If your going the LSO route instead of ELS Samurai - what course do you plan on taking?

And thanks for the email address.
- Your welcome.
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

Jhaddix

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:37 pm

Sorry just let me clear up this post:

ElearnSecurity and LearnSecurityOnline are two COMPLETELY different trainings..

Elearn is in the middle of UPDATING their first revision of Penetration Testing Pro, which was awesome. The main guy to talk to there is Armando Romeo (armando@elearnsecurity.com)

LSO is in the middle of completely restructuring their offerings, "So You Wanna Be a Pentester?" and  "So You Wanna Be a Webapp Pentester?" Joe McCray (joe@learnsecurityonline.com) is the author of all the LSO courses. I just finished taking the live "APT: Advanced Penetration Testing, Prentesting High Security Environments" which was stellar.
<<

BlueEyedSamurai

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:08 pm

:) Thanks all for the replies.

I do and did understand that we were talking about two different courses. My initial reason for posting was to get feedback on learnsecurityonline.com as I had read about that site in another post but was wondering why I didn't see any updated content on their site.

Impelse then updated with elearnsecurity.com. So I investigated that one also. I did email Armando yesterday and received a response already. They are in the middle of finishing their Student course and should be done by October.

I was looking for an introduction to Pen Testing with labs (preferably) at a reasonable price.

Thanks again.

-Samurai
<<

BlueEyedSamurai

Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Well, I took the leap and purchased the elearnsecurity course. I have just started it and have only gone through a few of the modules so far. It seems very informative. I look forward to going through each of the modules and learning all of the material.

-Samurai
<<

impelse

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:04 am

Great, hopely you will enjoy it.

Some parts are difficult to understand but after reviewing two or three times and reading some extra information you get it.

What module did you begin?
CCNA Security

<<

BlueEyedSamurai

Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:53 pm

I started with the System Security module. Mostly because of the Cryptography and Malware sections. I must say the cryptography section is very interesting. I haven't made my way through the entire section yet as I have to balance studying for my 70-642 exam, which is scheduled for 11/1.

-Samurai
<<

impelse

Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:06 pm

Buffer overflow and shell code are difficult for me. I liked more sql injection. I did not check the Network security yet
CCNA Security

<<

secureseve

Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:45 pm

Glad you're enjoying it Samurai! If you have any questions, don't forget to utilize the forums and the live chat for help.
http://twitter.com/mikesantillana
eLearnSecurity Team Member.

Return to Security