Hackers accidentally give Microsoft their code

<<

Ketchup

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:50 pm

Hackers accidentally give Microsoft their code

When hackers crash their systems while developing viruses, the code is often sent directly to Microsoft, according to one of its senior security architects, Rocky Heckman.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/hackers-accidentally-give-microsoft-their-code-339305548.htm?omnRef=http%3A%2F%2Fslashdot.org%2F
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

caissyd

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Hackers accidentally give Microsoft their code

When the hacker's system crashes in Windows, as with all typical Windows crashes, Heckman said the user would be prompted to send the error details — including the malicious code — to Microsoft. The funny thing is that many say yes

So funny!  :D

Heckman said that developers should consider all data input by a user as harmful until proven otherwise.

This is sooo true!!!
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

charliemong

Post Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:56 am

Very funny.

"The first thing [script kiddies] do is fire off all these attacks at Microsoft.com," he said. "On average we get attacked between 7000 and 9000 times per second at Microsoft.com," said the senior security architect.

This would explain why there website is so slow then?
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
- Sun Tzu
<<

MaXe

Post Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:27 am

H1t M0nk3y wrote:
When the hacker's system crashes in Windows, as with all typical Windows crashes, Heckman said the user would be prompted to send the error details — including the malicious code — to Microsoft. The funny thing is that many say yes

So funny!  :D

I found that funny as well, though at least not all "hackers" including blackhats (and many other hats) do that mistake.

I'm not a blackhat but when I've had to develop bypassing techniques for AV-scanners, I made sure that my work was not automatically sent to M$ nor the Anti-Virus manufacturer.

Else it's pretty much worthless work, which I assume most of us are not fond of  ;)

If you wonder exactly what those bypassing techniques are used for, it's for demonstration purposes to compare how hard or easy it may be to bypass different Anti-Virus systems. (The entire system, that is.)
I'm an InterN0T'er

Return to News from the Outside World