Seven Safe?

<<

charliemong

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:30 am

Seven Safe?

Hi Gys and galls,

My first post on this forum as i have been refered here by a chap from another forum. I have been working in IT for 14 years both within the military and civi street. I am now looking to move into Pen testing. I have seen some qualifications that are done by seven safe and was wondering if anyone has done these qualifications and what weight they hold with in the industry? I know that hands on experience is the best way to learn and i constantly strive to improve myself and my skills. Am currently sutdy for the mcitp enterprse admin to improve my knowledge of the windows 2008 enviroment. I also hold my CCNA and sec plus.

I look forward to your responses.
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
- Sun Tzu
<<

charliemong

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:49 am

Re: Seven Safe?

Well that sort of sums up what i thought. No Response. Have been doing some digging while on this site and it seems there are lots of different routes to take. Will have to do more research. I am after a more hands on course so want to avoid doing the CEH as i have heard this is a "tool monkeys course" Am not knocking the CEH as i have not done it. But i want to be able to understand how to doing something without tools as from what i understand there not always available.

I am at current as mentioned studying for MS EA. On someone's advise on a different forum I have started to look at python and using it. Could anyone else give me any pointers?
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
- Sun Tzu
<<

caissyd

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:58 am

Welcome charliemong to this forum!

Can you tell us a bit more about your technical background? Maybe we will be able to guide you more once we know where you currently are.
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

charliemong

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:14 am

Hi

While in the Forces I was helping to trail and develop the British Bowman system. This covered networking and windows OS's along with open source software and some security stuff including cryptography and encryption. Since leave 2 years ago I have been studying and working in a support environment. I have completed my CCNA and SEC+. I am currently studying for my Enterprise admin for server 2008 and once this has been boxed off my Linux plus. I also have picked up learning Python again. Though not at an advanced level. From what I have read from a chap on a different forum understanding the platform you are to attack/test is the first step. To that end I am studying like mad and won’t be looking at taking any steps toward pen testing quals till early next year. But in a way I am as having a good understanding is the first step. 
- Sun Tzu
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:34 am

Hey dude, welcome to EH! :D

I'm sorry you didn't have any more luck here. I just know they advertise here, so I was hoping someone would have some feedback for you. They should give out some complimentary courses, so they can get some reviews ;)

I think my recommendation for the eLearnSecurity course still stands. The OSCP seems a little more advanced and would be a good step to take after that.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

charliemong

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:21 am

Hey dude,

Don't worry about it. I have always had the attitude if you don't know ask someone that does. You guys on here know your stuff. So thought would ask. Have been looking at the elearn security and want to be at a standard where I can do the course and learn loads while not been overwhelmed. So think my plan is going to be finish my EA and Linux plus. which will give me a good base to work upwards. Once these are done, am hoping by March next year then do the elearning course. At this point think a breather will be needed for a couple of months. Then Aim to tackle the OSCP.
- Sun Tzu

Return to Security