Google Briefly Punishes Oracle by Removal from Google Search

<<

morpheus063

Post Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:56 pm

Google Briefly Punishes Oracle by Removal from Google Search

Late yesterday Oracle announced in an exceptionally brief and direct press release that it had filed a lawsuit against Google.  The statement issued by Oracle spokesperson Karen Tillman simply said: “In developing Android, Google knowingly, directly and repeatedly infringed Oracle’s Java-related intellectual property. This lawsuit seeks appropriate remedies for their infringement.” But someone at Google didn’t find this amusing and seemingly tampered with Google’s search algorithm and database by eliminating Oracle altogether.

Read more....
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

hayabusa

Post Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: Google Briefly Punishes Oracle by Removal from Google Search

Wow!  Nothing like making life worse for yourselves (Google) and looking more stupid, by pulling something like that.  I respect Eric Schmidt, so I hope he and the others in charge at Google are ALL over that one...
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Ketchup

Post Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:35 pm

I am not sure what removing Oracle from Google's search engines really accomplishes.  They aren't exactly unknown in the industry.  It certainly makes Google look stupid though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

former33t

Post Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:37 pm

Sorry guys, I take another approach on this one.  I think that Oracle has taken an indefensible stance on the lawsuit over Android's use of Java.  The fact that it was only done briefly (and silently) makes it seem juvenile.  On the other hand, if they just came out with the big middle finger, I'd be all for it.  I was a big Sun supporter, including doing some work on OpenSolaris related software and I'm more than a little pissed that Oracle took the anti-open source stance this month.  The Android gripe is just another side of the same coin.
Certifications: CREA, MCSE: Security, CCNA, Security+, other junk
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:10 pm

And I'd agree on this thread, too, former33t, if they'd done the 'middle finger' approach.  Just that, as you said (and Ketchup and I had stated,) Google made themselves look really stupid (or in your wording 'juvenile', but I think we agree on the definition of the two, in this case, being a literal equal.)

That said, will it hurt Google's business at all.  Nah, they're too big, and have too much technology and skin in the game, overall, and this is just a grain of sand on an enormous beach.  Just sad that, even for a moment, they had to be anal, that's all...

Again, I respect Schmidt, so I hope he and his fellow Google-ites avoid such stupidity in the future.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH

Return to News from the Outside World