In college, need advice for career map.

<<

dexterx

Post Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:13 pm

In college, need advice for career map.

hi

i have just joined college for a computer science & engineering degree. i want to become an information security proffesional. i was just browsing looking for the certifications i need to have when i came across this forum.

I have decided on CEH & CISSP but need help deciding the others and welcome all advice.

Also i wanted to know that since i am in for a four year degree is there some side courses i should be doing in this time which might help me later on.

All advice is welcome thanx in advance.
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:33 pm

Re: In college, need advice for career map.

I respect you for querying and gaining perspectives on this subject.  Before I go much further, though...  (don't take this negatively, as that's not the intent.)

Do some digging on the forums (use the search, and even Google on it, using a site:ethicalhacker.net search.)  This is a topic that there are already a LOT of posts and threads on here, about.  If you exhaust those in your research, THEN I'd be happy to add some insight.  But part of doing what we do (pentesting / security) requires a lot of research on your own, and I can promise you, a bit of that, here, will yield you much of the info you're after.

Let us know if you need further help, after you dig.  There are many here who can help you continue to grow, and I'll be happy to contribute.  Biggest thing is, I'm a firm believer, as are many of us, that there/s no point in repeating the same information, over and over, when it's already at your fingertips!   ;)

Good luck, and happy hunting!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

dexterx

Post Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:44 am

@hayabusa hey thanx for that. i had been looking only through the forums and not the whole site.

anyway i found lots of stuiff which i was looking for.

i 've decided to take network+ and security+ first and then go for ceh and cissp. i dont think A+ is necessary for a career in security so i'll skip that one. and also i'll go for a masters in information security if possible.

but the question about anything i can do alongside my bachelors, for example to gain experience or hands on training is still unresolved.

another thing, is the associate of isc2 certification worthwhile or should i wait to get the experience before i try the exam..

all views and advice is welcome and thanx again hayabusa.
<<

ziggy_567

Post Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:55 am

If you're in school, a good option would be a college job with the CS department working with the Sysadmins. I'm a bit biased since I am currently a Sysadmin, but they're the ones in the trenches and you'd get good work experience in addition to some extra money in your pocket. If there aren't any college jobs available, you can always volunteer your services. Most college campuses I've been to don't have all the resources they could use...

Good luck!
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:57 am

Co-op opportunities are usually a good way to go, while in school, if you can line them up.  As noted, even if starting out as a sysadmin in such an arrangement, it opens doors, and starts to introduce you to how folks think, in the IT world, and you start to make connections into other areas, as well.

As for the associate program with isc2, I can't say, as I haven't personally gone that route, but I'm sure others here likely have, although gaining some experience, at least, would generally be my recommendation.

On the flip side, if you like self study, look into CBT training videos and books, and gather even USED equipment, to start building up a lab.  May take time, as with school, I know side money doesn't come easily.  But in the end, if you can do simulations for yourself, and grow outside of just your normal classwork, etc, it'll benefit you in the end.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH

Return to Career Central