Info Sec Education Track

<<

barksdale

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:59 am

Info Sec Education Track

Hi Guys,  I will be receiving my BS in Information Security and Assurance within the next year or year and a half.  I was wondering what Certs should I get to compliment my degree.  I was thinking about A+ or LPI just in case I cant find a job in my field.  I just feel as though A+ would be a waste.  Do you guys any non security certs to compliment my degree?
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Info Sec Education Track

There are quite a few security certifications available. Is there a particular area you are interested in? Are you seeking certifications for personal gain or for getting through HR?
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:06 am

The Security+ is the typical starting point as that provides a broad overview of many different aspects of infosec. Also, if you're considering any of the CompTIA (A+, Network+, Security+, etc.), you should do them this year while you still get them for life. After this year, they're going to be expiring every few years.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

barksdale

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:08 am

Im definitely trying to get through HR.  I also wanted some non security CERTS to prove that I know that systems as well.  My idea was to insure employment even if I didn't land a infosec job immediately.  I heard that most people have to work network administration jobs for a few years before they land a good infosec job.  I was thinking the linux track LPI/RHEC, or CISCO.  I've been studying for the A+ exam but it just seems like a waste of time, the information is just to basic.  Do you guys think I should just rack up on Security Certs or try to diversify?
<<

COm_BOY

Post Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:39 pm

There really is a difference b/w Computer Security and Information Security isnt it ?
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.
<<

SephStorm

Post Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:18 pm

If you are dead set against A+ you could consider other A+ level certs or you could do a microsoft cert. You could hurry and get the MCDST before it dies out, and do a Win 7 cert to show that you can upgrade your skills. The LPI exams can come afterwards, because unless you plan to get a linux position, most general IT job filters are not likely to catch them.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

b1u3

Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:52 pm

It really depends on who you want to work for and the type of positions you want to try to fill.  I'm in your same boat in finishing my BSCS then getting the certs. I've knocked a few of them down thanks to my employer.

If you are looking to fill more of a management security role, I'd go the Associate of ISC2 CISSP track (take the regular CISSP test) as this upgrades when you get the experience. I know a lot of employers who look highly upon this because you pass the regular CISSP test.

The microsoft certs are good if you want to work in a microsoft environment.

If you want to go more network centric, you might look at Cisco CCNP/CCIE security.

If you want to go incident response, go for the SANS certs (GCIA, GCIH). If its for the US government get CEH as this meets a lot of DoD 8570 requirements.

If you want to go the technical route, look at the Offensive Security certs (OSCP, OSCE)

Return to Security