Is Verizon Listening?

<<

Ketchup

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:22 am

Is Verizon Listening?

"I have Verizon FIOS at home and my Verizon-supplied Actiontec router had the password 'password1' that the tech assigned to it when he set it up three years ago. I received an email from Verizon that said 'we have identified that your router still had a password of either password1 or admin1 and we have changed it to your serial number.' I checked and it actually had been changed. I believe this to be in response to the Black Hat presentation about the hackability of home routers.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/08/01 ... -Passwords
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:58 am

Re: Is Verizon Listening?

"I believe this to be in response to the Black Hat presentation about the hackability of home routers."  Really???????  ::)

And folks wonder why default passwords need changing...  I think it's pretty funny that the ISP took it upon themselves to change it, though, and tell the user, afterwards.  Personally, I think I'd be a little miffed about that.  Saddest thing is, a number of ISP's already use the serial number method for their default passwords when sending out routers to their customers.  Most of these are quickly cracked, as the same ISP's send them out with basic WEP...  Add to that the fact that, if multiple neighbors have the same ISP, and they KNOW this practice goes on, how many snooping eyes just HAPPEN to take a cell phone camera snapshot of the bottom of their neighbors routers, when they stop to say hello?

LOL!  People make me laugh...
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Is Verizon Listening?

This talk at BH & DC was done by EH-Net Columnist Craig Heffner:

http://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-us-10/b ... ml#Heffner

Hopefully we see some new content from him soon.  ;)

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME

Return to News from the Outside World