Lab Setup help

<<

millwalll

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:47 am

Lab Setup help

Hi all,

I am trying setup a pen testing lab using vmware BT4 and DE-Ice. However when I try and do a nmap scan I get this message note: Host seems down if it really up but blocking our ping probes try -PN namp done 1 IP address (0 host up) scanred in 0.28 sec.

I have a windows 7 box running Wm ware with two session one with BT4 other with De-Ice. This connected to wirless router.

The De-Ice has fixed ip address of 192.168.1.100 BT4 has ip of 192.168.1.10 and I have changed my router settings so it has starting Ip of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99

Any help be amazing thanks a lot
<<

secureseve

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 am

Re: Lab Setup help

Are they running as Bridged (getting an actual IP from your dhcp server/most likely your home router) or using NAT using your host computer as the gateway/dhcp/etc.?
http://twitter.com/mikesantillana
eLearnSecurity Team Member.
<<

sil

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:01 pm

-P0 works better than -PN -P0 doesn't ping a machine in which event, if say a Windows box has it's firewall on, won't respond. -PN treats the address as being up and wildly sends packets to all ports. Not useful unless you want to make a lot of noise.

Analogy time... You break into a hotel (network) and you want to see what doors are opened on what floor (which IP's). Why would you assume there are doors on ALL floors and just go knocking. As opposed to casing the floor, see the doors with your own eyes, and then stealthily knocking/trying to pry on those doors?

Also make sure that the devices are on the same network as mentioned by secureseven
<<

millwalll

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi the DE-Ice Vm already has ip and BT4 I am seeting the IP by doing ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.10
<<

millwalll

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi all I got it sorted thanks anyway :)

Return to Network Pen Testing