CEH Certification doubt

<<

VICKS_DX

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:53 am

CEH Certification doubt

Hi all Gurus..m a newbie to this forum and this is my first post..m preparing for CEH v6 and would take the xam in coming month..however the material which m referring is the CEH slides which contains 67 different topics and career Academy videos tutorials but when i visit the EC-council site they hav only displayed 26 topics for the CEHv6 312-50/eco-350 exam wch is similiar to their earlier version CEH v5.Is it because they havnt updated the site or m i wasting my time studyin those extra slideS..m confused plzz help.

here is the link
http://www.eccouncil.org/certification/exam_information/ceh_exam_%28312-50%29.aspx
Last edited by VICKS_DX on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ccna,ccna security & ccsa
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:20 am

Re: CEH Certification doubt

You only have to study the modules which are listed as objectives. The other ones are only self-study and are not relevant for the exam.

However, you should note that a few questions about those self-study modules might appear in the exam though. Not sure if this was already 'fixed' or not.
<<

VICKS_DX

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:00 am

i appreciate ur reply awsec..do u suggest me any other material apart from wht i hav referred in my post above..n please lemme kn wat is the level of difficulty for this exam.  :)
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:11 am

I am not sure which slides you are referring to. If you went through the official courseware and understood it, you should do fine. As you have already done some related certifications according to your signature, I think it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't have the Career Academy stuff, however, some others recommended it if I remember correctly. I'd just read up on those topics where you are not very familiar with.

Since it's a very broad and entry-level based certification, it's not that difficult. However, don't underestimate it.
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:56 am

The Career Academy stuff is pretty good, as is the stuff from Intense Schools / Quickcert.

Aside of that, just build yourself a lab, and start testing with some of the tools, etc, and I think you'll do OK.  As awesec said in his post, if you've got the certs you listed in your signature, this one shouldn't be too bad, either, so long as you DO spend some time both studying the written / video materials (whatever you have) and actually test some things in your lab.

Good luck!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

VICKS_DX

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:17 am

thnx 4 d replies..yes my prior cerifications hav helped me a lot n preparing CEH..when i refer the coursewere it has millions of tools in it..m jus boggled on wch tool shld i concentrate more..Can u advice me a list of tools that are exam oriented.
Also Hayabusa as u suggested virtual Labs wld be heplful.can u jus brief me abt Wat exact scenarios shld i create in VMware..wat all OS shld i install to hav a firm on the testing part..i also want to get a firewall in between so i cn segregate the vitual pc's i hav created..since i cnt afford hardware firewall is there any software based firewall wch is for free and wch hs d functionality of a firewall tht cn be installed in one of the OS to make it work like a firewall..  ???
<<

Dutchie

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:38 am

VICKS_DX wrote:i also want to get a firewall in between so i cn segregate the vitual pc's i hav created..since i cnt afford hardware firewall is there any software based firewall wch is for free and wch hs d functionality of a firewall tht cn be installed in one of the OS to make it work like a firewall..  ???

For the firewall you can think of IPtables (Linux). It's free and software based
RA, CISA, CISSP, C|EH, C|HFI, CWSP, LPIC-1
<<

hayabusa

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:29 am

IMHO, a good lab should include various flavors of the Windows OS (Win XP SP1, SP2, SP3, Win2k, Win2k3, Win2k8, NT4,) linux (RedHat, SuSE, Ubuntu, Debian,) Solaris, Unix (BSD, etc), any / all flavors of Mac OS...  The list could go on.  Use VMWare or some suitable hypervisor to build your targets, as you likely won't have enough hardware to have ALL of the above, installed on separate machines.  Also, if you have them, include Routers and switches in there, as well as various firewalls, IDS / IPS, etc.  Mind you, you may not have access to all, or have the money to afford them, etc.  But the more options you have, and the more you can simulate a target machine / network, the more you'll learn, and the better prepared you will be for future Penetration testing and security work.  It'll also help you to make recommendations for remediation, after you're done testing, if you see that certain steps and tools could've prevented your attacks.

I'm certain I've left some things out, here, as I'm semi-coherent this week from pain medications from a car accident (not my fault,) so others are free to chime in.  However, this would be a good starting point.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

xflatlinex

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:40 pm

Good Luck on it.. I just took it today and made a 82%.  Lower than I would have liked but its a pass or fail thing to get the cert..
<<

VICKS_DX

Post Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:36 am

Congrats Mate..i would b taking this exam this month end..Can u tell me wat all study materials u reffered to prepare for the exam..was it a tough one to crack..
<<

wmburke

Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi Folks,

I wanted to throw my 2 cents in here, and ask for some beta testers at the same time
My 2 cents: Security Interviews or going for new security positions.

Let’s remember 2 major objectives for any learning program:

1: Pass the exam and get the paper that provides backup that you have the theory.

2: Gain real world experience. Work experience, internships, beta testers etc.

Let’s say you go for a new interview at a bank for a Security Pen Tester position and they ask you to say break into their FDCC mandated (Federal Desktop Core Configuration), would you have the knowledge and skills to achieve that?
My opinion is based on the kind of learning style that you would succeed most with. I am what you would call a difficult learner.

Take a look at the Edgar Dale Learning Cone. I need all elements to achieve the greatest learning results.

http://www.sequrit.org/study-options.html

Help Please: I have a great opportunity for anyone that wants to help beta test the new CEH SWAT Hands-On Lab exercises and LMS. I am releasing at Hacker Halted in Miami. For $500 (we donate $50 to Hackers for Charity (www.hackersforcharity.org) you will get CEHv6 40 hours CBT videos plus free CEHv7 upgrade, and complete LMS coverage for 12 months, which also includes weekly Live sessions.

http://www.shop.sequrit.org/CEH-SWAT-Bl ... CEHOLT.htm

The difference between the majority of CBT offering available and what we have built is a 40% increased learning understanding and retention based on the Blended Learning philosophy. We can achieve the greater success results because of the hands-on practical’s and the weekly 2 hour live session with me Wayne Burke. EC-Council use our video’s for the iClass delivery modalities.

Your efforts will be appreciated by me personally, and Hackers for Charit, plus all Gov, DOD, Law Enforcement as we will release a GOV version of CEH SWAT DOD8570.

Blended Learning Mentored by a teacher that has the experience to offer all the elements required. Like seeing and doing. So when I teach a class I want the student to build the theory and map it to what the typical job requirements would be.

Contact us if you are interested to learn from someone that has the experience to lead you down the correct path and meet both exam and practical experience objectives.

I am hoping to offer EH Net some free seats as soon as I have spoken to Don.
Just finished a 18 hour day/night after delivering a live First Look webinar on Web Hacking for EC-Council  ;)

Hope we can all contribute to raising the quality that one should expect.
Adios

Wayne H0nd0 
"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail"
Abraham Maslow
<<

venom77

Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:57 am

Hey Wayne,

Good to see you visiting EH-Net. I think I've hopped on one or two of your webinar segments with EC-Council in the past (I like to listen in and see how it goes). They were very well done and I'm sure any training you offer is even better. For anyone thinking about this, I'm sure you would be making a good decision.

Will you be attending the conference days as well at HH after your class? If so, looking forward to meeting you there.

BillV

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker