Alternative to Kali linux

<<

cyber.spirit

Post Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:35 pm

Alternative to Kali linux

Hi there
I know in penetration testing world, tools are not important that much. But as a geek, I usually search for new linux
distros, hacking tools and so on. I'm a fan of kali linux, as you know it's based on debian and it comes with a huge
amount of tools that we ever need and both of these features are great.

But in some cases we cannot (or we don't want to) use kali linux. for example I'm working in IT department(as an IT
expert). Because kali is so famous my manager can easily detect it in network or he can see my monitor when i want to
log in to my kali linux. Of course that we can make kali more undetectable (and it was only an example) but it's a good idea to
have an alternative for kali linux for these cases. Parrot security OS can be a good alternative, parrot is developed by
Frozenbox Network and designed to perform security and penetration tests, do forensic analysis or be anonymous on the web.
Parrot Security uses a the Mate Desktop environment which is a nice change of pace. This is a Debian-based distribution similar
in look and feel to Kali Linux because the crew at Frozen Network started with the Kali git repository

http://www.parrotsec.org/
<<

Grendel

Post Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:21 am

Re: Alternative to Kali linux

Glad to hear there is work on a different distro of hacking tools.

However...

As with ANY distro, a high level of cynicism should exist amongst adopters. It is simplistic to include malicious (or simply annoyance) code that is undesirable in any setting. As I mentioned in my book, I always recommend installing the apps you want on your hacking system; that way you avoid bloat, questionable "administration tasks" and apps running behind the scenes.

This is how paranoid I am... I wait about a YEAR before I upgrade to the latest Kali / Backtrack. That way, others can find any bad apps before I migrate over.
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: Alternative to Kali linux

Grendel wrote:Glad to hear there is work on a different distro of hacking tools.

However...

As with ANY distro, a high level of cynicism should exist amongst adopters. It is simplistic to include malicious (or simply annoyance) code that is undesirable in any setting. As I mentioned in my book, I always recommend installing the apps you want on your hacking system; that way you avoid bloat, questionable "administration tasks" and apps running behind the scenes.

This is how paranoid I am... I wait about a YEAR before I upgrade to the latest Kali / Backtrack. That way, others can find any bad apps before I migrate over.

Hello my friend thank you for your comment. You are totally right. Sometimes i do the same thing. I install the netinst version of Debian wheezy, which is something around 180MB then i install and configure desktop environment(Mate is my favorite). Then I install whatever pentesting tools that i need. But to install tools, you must use their repositories and because of that there is still a chance of getting malicious code.

There is another problem when we make our own pentesting platform, we cannot install and configure all of the tools which is available on Kali, it takes a lot of time and effort. Because of that i use Kali Linux for most of my task but in production networks I'll Stick with my own distro.

Return to Tools