CEH v6 - Passed!

<<

tux633k

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm

CEH v6 - Passed!

Well, I made it!  It was a little more difficult than I had anticipated, but worth it.  Now I just have to build up from here on out.  Thinking of taking the CPT or other security cert. out there.
CEH, MCP, CSCS, CHP
<<

ziggy_567

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: CEH v6 - Passed!

Congratz!
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

Xen

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:57 pm

w00t! Congrats!
<<

zeroflaw

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:24 pm

Congrats!  8)
ZF
<<

impelse

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:32 pm

Congrats.

How long did you study?
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

UNIX

Post Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:03 am

Congrats.
Maybe you can tell which resources you used for studying, since many people are looking for this kind of information when preparing themselves for CEH.
<<

DrivinTin

Post Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:35 pm

How long did it take you to get your cert kit?  I know the site says up to 8 weeks, but I passed mine back in July and have not received mine yet.
Currently working on:
A UAV Project
Speaking and conferences
<<

venom77

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:49 am

DrivinTin wrote:How long did it take you to get your cert kit?  I know the site says up to 8 weeks, but I passed mine back in July and have not received mine yet.

You need to contact EC-Council and find out what happened. Try emailing certmanager@eccouncil.org or info@eccouncil.org.

The process was supposed to be streamlined down to only 4 weeks.
<<

rdm

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:02 pm

DrivinTin wrote:How long did it take you to get your cert kit?  I know the site says up to 8 weeks, but I passed mine back in July and have not received mine yet.

I passed in July as well.  After several emails and a phone call I was sent an email saying the kit was on its way along with a tracking number.  When I called they said they were backed up processing the certification kits.
GCIH, GCIA, GSNA, CEH, Security+
<<

hungrymind

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a regular lurker and reader around here... not much of a poster yet, but soon to be! So this would be my second or third time posting here.

I have a question for the original poster, tux633k, as well as everyone else reading the thread...

So I am currently studying the CEH casually and would like to attempt the exam some day. One thing that I cannot seem to find a solid answer to is, how do employers view "self-study" style courses? Somewhere along my travels, I seem to recall someone (perhaps an instructor video, or online forum comment) made mention of the fact that both EC-Council, as well as employers view the "self-study" option of the CEH cert to be not as well recognized or respected as, say, taking the CEH training live, in person, and then attempting the exam at a later date. I recall that the assumption was that the live, in-person aspect gave the student an air of legitimacy and trustworthiness... but this is going on an intuitive hunch. more than anything else.

My apologies if I have got it dead wrong and/or if this is just a silly myth designed to scare us into coughing up more for some expensive in-person training!  ???

So I figured now was a good time to ask the question.

Thanks for your input!
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:46 am

I've never had anyone ask me whether I participated in classroom training for any of the certifications I have. Also, I've heard stories of instructors preparing guides that very specifically cover the content of the exam. Given the breadth of the exam, you could argue that these classroom students were short-changed and weren't required to know the material as well as the people that had to struggle through it on their own. I would agree with that assessment, but that's not a common occurrence either (I would hope). I'd take that "myth" with a grain of salt.

Belated congrats! to the OP :)
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

venom77

Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:56 am

I'm in the same boat as dynamik on that one. I've never had anyone question whether my training was classroom or self-study. The way I have courses listed on my resume they are all grouped under training together and I have a note that states "classroom, computer-based, or self-study." Whether it's had any impact on job opportunities, I have no idea (doesn't seem to). Maybe there are calls I don't get because of it but no one has ever asked about it.
<<

impelse

Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:07 am

In my cased did not affect, all my certifications are self study and my new employer new it, and it was ok. So there is not problem, never metion me that was the reason why they did not hire me.

But make sure that you know the material because because when you are sitting at the job fixing problem they expect from you to work beyond your certification......
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

wmburke

Post Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:55 am

Hi Folks,

I wanted to throw my 2 cents in here, and ask for some help :)
My 2 cents: Security Interviews or going for new security positions.
Let’s remember 2 major objectives for any learning program:

1: Pass the exam and get the paper that provides backup that you have the theory.
2: Gain real world experience. Work experience, internships, beta testers etc.

Let’s say you go for a new interview at a bank for a Security Pen Tester position and they ask you to say break into their FDCC mandated (Federal Desktop Core Configuration), would you have the knowledge and skills to achieve that?

My opinion is based on the kind of learning style that you would succeed most with. I am what you would call a difficult learner  You know the Hyper Active kid that never sat still?? The problem is that so many teachers don’t have much real world experience to properly access the student’s ability / learning problems. I am not stupid but learning has always required much more effort than just watching a CBT, listening to a lecture or reading a book.

Take a look at the Edgar Dale Learning Cone. I need all elements to achieve the greatest learning results.

www.sequrit.org

Help Please: I have a great opportunity for anyone that wants to help beta test the new CEH SWAT Hands-On Lab exercises and LMS. I am releasing at Hacker Halted in Miami. For $500 (we donate $50 to Hackers for Charity (www.hackersforcharity.org) you will get CEHv6 40 hours CBT videos plus free CEHv7 upgrade, and complete LMS coverage for 12 months, which also includes weekly Live sessions.

http://www.shop.sequrit.org/CEH-SWAT-Bl ... CEHOLT.htm

The difference between the majority of CBT offering available and what we have built is a 40% increased learning understanding and retention based on the Blended Learning philosophy. We can achieve the greater success results because of the hands-on practical’s and the weekly 2 hour live session with me Wayne Burke. EC-Council use our video’s for the iClass delivery modalities.

Your efforts will be appreciated by me personally, and Hackers for Charit, plus all Gov, DOD, Law Enforcement as we will release a GOV version of CEH SWAT DOD8570.

I have been pawning equipment to cover costs and feed my 4 daughters. Blended Learning Mentored by a teacher that has the experience to offer all the elements required. Like seeing and doing. So when I teach a class I want the student to build the theory and map it to what the typical job requirements would be.

Contact us if you are prepared to go the distance to meet the 2 above objectives.

Thanks for reading,

Wayne ::)
"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail"
Abraham Maslow
<<

wmburke

Post Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:17 am

I wanted to also add that I am not trying to solicite sales via the blogs. I created CPTS years ago mainly for Gov and military and with-out all the politics, I stopped the IP from falling into hands of money focused blah blah blah  ???

I only want to help people learn the best way they can. Period. So if you have read this far and are out of work, We can provide you with some free training assistance to help get you on your feet. E-mail us at:

recoveryact@sequrit.org

Feel free to post any questions / comments.  Support communities like EHnet as they are here to help!

Regards,

Wayne
"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail"
Abraham Maslow
Next

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker