Most in-demand certifications

<<

yatz

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:03 am

Most in-demand certifications

http://certmag.com/read.php?in=3950

Here are the four most in-demand certifications, according to Robert Half Technology’s staffing and recruiting professionals across the United States
...CISSP...
...MCSE...
...PMP...
...CCNA...

Looks like a good list to me.
"Live as though you would die tomorrow, learn as though you would live forever."

CCNA, MCSA, MCTS, Sec+, Net+, Linux+, CEH
<<

caissyd

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: Most in-demand certifications

Great, my PMP is good!  ;D

I will go after CISSP in 2011...
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

Determ

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:04 am

What do you think about ISO/IEC 27001:2005 ? After passing final exams, participants receive accredited certification with title "Information Security Manager" and "Information Security Auditor".
<<

yatz

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:19 am

Determ wrote:What do you think about ISO/IEC 27001:2005 ? After passing final exams, participants receive accredited certification with title "Information Security Manager" and "Information Security Auditor".

It looks good on paper, but I'm unfamiliar with what is actually tested and what it takes to pass so I can't say one way or the other.  Have you passed this (or has anyone here taken this)?  What is it like?
"Live as though you would die tomorrow, learn as though you would live forever."

CCNA, MCSA, MCTS, Sec+, Net+, Linux+, CEH
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:06 am

Yeah, while it's not, IMHO, as valuable to me, 'technically', 'politically' I plan on pursuing CISSP in the near future, myself.

The one on that list that I find interesting, is CCNA.  While I see a number of posts for it on job boards like Monster, etc, even more often I'm seeing CCNP-styled job postings, where they want more than the average CCNA is going to have.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Ketchup

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:02 pm

I have to admit that both CISSP and MCSE have opened doors for me.  They don't really prove that I know anything, but recruiters love popular certs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

JollyJokker

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:49 am

Even though I am a CCNP, I see CCNA more valuable in the manner of knowledge and expertise necessity. CCNP is definitely a targetted cert towards Network Engineering, just like CCSP is for Cisco Security etc. On the other hand, CCNA is a must-have-this-knowledge cert as it provides necessary know-how to everybody regardless of getting a job on Network Engineering.

If I were a recruiter I would value CCNA for every IT/Telecom professional. I would value CCNP only for routing-switching roles.

So CCNA to me is sth like a prerequisite cert in the sense of providing very fundamental and important knowledge (TCP/IP).
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:49 pm

Hordakk wrote:Even though I am a CCNP, I see CCNA more valuable in the manner of knowledge and expertise necessity. CCNP is definitely a targetted cert towards Network Engineering, just like CCSP is for Cisco Security etc. On the other hand, CCNA is a must-have-this-knowledge cert as it provides necessary know-how to everybody regardless of getting a job on Network Engineering.

If I were a recruiter I would value CCNA for every IT/Telecom professional. I would value CCNP only for routing-switching roles.

So CCNA to me is sth like a prerequisite cert in the sense of providing very fundamental and important knowledge (TCP/IP).

Right. Even if you're an MS systems admin, having CCNA-level will help you out. We strictly provide security services, yet we require all analysts to have a CCNA. If you don't already have it, that will be the first thing you'll be required to work on.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

impelse

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:58 pm

It is true, a lot of recruiter they see the ccna like a must have cert, and the job is only for windows server but they want to see the certification
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:14 am

I really wish MS would do a better job of promoting the MCITPs. I know people who are still starting out their MS studies with Server 2003 because the MCSE is so much more well-known than the MCITPs. I've even met other MCSEs that haven't even heard about the MCITPs. How does that happen? ???
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

Anquilas

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:40 am

At InfoSecurity a few months ago I had the chance to talk to a bunch of big-time IT security managers, and suprisingly they all agreed that OSCP is one of the cert's they hold in highest regard.
It's not suprisingly in itself, since OSCP is obviously awesome (looking at all the reviews), but I was surprised to see that it already has great value in the manager/recruiting world.

I actually noticed it again in a recent job interview, where they explicitly asked for it.

In short: I'd add that to the list :-)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/dietervds
Blog: https://synquell.wordpress.com (not much there yet)

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.
<<

impelse

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:32 am

Anquilas wrote:At InfoSecurity a few months ago I had the chance to talk to a bunch of big-time IT security managers, and suprisingly they all agreed that OSCP is one of the cert's they hold in highest regard.

I actually noticed it again in a recent job interview, where they explicitly asked for it.

In short: I'd add that to the list :-)

I had the same preception, I planned eLearnsecurity > CEH > OSCP

I already beging with eLearnsecurity
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

sil

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:09 pm

This has been my plan for the past 3-4 years when I pretend to myself I will stop slacking:

CCIE(s) (of note... I've actually studied for +10 years now on this... Google sucks! http://www.mail-archive.com/cisco@group ... 04919.html)
CISA + HISP (to annoy)
CREA || GREM (find it fun/interesting)
OPSA + OPST + ISRM (more geared towards reality for me)

CCIE(s) I've been fiddling with for years now... Lab part scares me not the content. CISA + HISP is to annoy people. CREA + GREM because they look fun. OPSA + OPST + ISRM because they make more sense for me.

The reality is though, I don't know what else to do. Sometimes I get bored with security, even more bored with certs. The certs have become the challenge to me, not the technology. I'm still awaiting the results for the CISM which some come within the next 10 days. I wanted to beat the authors with a cluestick. I had to "dumb myself down" and answer to the business side of security as opposed to the technical/defense side of things. So I'm having to try to figure out what it is INSERT_SPECIFIC_BODY_HERE wants.

Who knows what route I'll take but I will figure it out shortly. I thought about going the Juniper route since I'm immersed in SA's and SSG's daily, but that too annoys me. 2 months ago I had to configure and deploy 10 SSG's (small number) with pre-defined tunneling information provided by the client. Had them all down with t's crossed, I's dotted only to have the client fudge the whole game up. I literally had to re-do them remotely on site which left me annoyed with SSG's because of my client. I may do the JNCIS-SEC who knows but I've had it up to ^here^ with vendor-specific certs. I'm keeping an eye on the ISRM though (http://www.securityhorizon.com/aboutISRM.php) and for those unaware of it, its what the NSA-IAM/IEM used to be.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Guess the Free Monthly Giveaway this month of Cisco Training by CareerAcademy.com is appropriate. ;-)

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:18 pm

I'd have to agree, don!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
Next

Return to General Certification