Spy versus Spy

<<

sil

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:53 am

Spy versus Spy

Someone recently asked me if I ever got bored with the penetration testing aspect of security. My answer was and is no. Never. It's always a Rubik's Cube to me. Trying to piece things together. From the penetration testing side comes the counter-defenses, etc.. Anyhow, thought this article was interesting.

Earnest says the U.S. is the recipient of “hundreds of thousands” of cyberattacks every day, many of which emanate from Beijing. “They want to find out if they can penetrate our firewalls and actually learn intelligence. We believe a good deal has been learned.”

It’s not only competitors snooping around these major corporations. Both Earnest and Javers say foreign governments regularly spy on U.S. companies. “The Chinese have an extremely elaborate intelligence network aimed at penetrating defense and technology firms,” Javers says. “Every piece of technology they steal is a piece they don’t have to invent for themselves.”

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/21/spie ... onage.html
<<

yatz

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:56 am

Re: Spy versus Spy

And of course the US would never do this to anyone else.  We're a bunch of moral upright people.
8)
"Live as though you would die tomorrow, learn as though you would live forever."

CCNA, MCSA, MCTS, Sec+, Net+, Linux+, CEH
<<

sil

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:19 am

Re: Spy versus Spy

yatz wrote:And of course the US would never do this to anyone else.  We're a bunch of moral upright people.
8)

We do things more discretely and have been caught less.
http://www.wired.com/science/discoverie ... 6/04/70619

Return to News from the Outside World