Perm to contracting, Security avenue

<<

delusion

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:32 am

Perm to contracting, Security avenue

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of taking the plunge into contracting, but have worries on how this will affect my career.  I have 3 years IT Support and where many hats.  My concerns are is this the correct route to take in terms of expereice gained in the security arena, or am I best travelling along the perm route.  If anyone has been in the same situtation it would be great to here your stories  8)
You Cant Resolve Problems Whilst At WAR!
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Perm to contracting, Security avenue

A very easy way to make the decision is to have enough contracts already setup before you quit to make sure you can pay the bills. Don't just quit with nothing and hope to make it. The pressure is too much in having to worry about everyday expenses to keep your head on growing the consulting biz.

Hope that helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:08 pm

I'll second what don has to say.  You absolutely can't make a fresh start, and expect to focus and grow a consulting business, if you don't first have enough work lined up to make it a profitable venture.  Not unless you've got some capital lined up, and are purchasing an already established company along the way.  Going out too early, and leaving behind other opportunities to maintain your 'status quo' will only lead to a failed opportunity, from my experiences.

Reach out, use your networking and connections, and get a solid base built up, know where your business is headed and have your direction already in progress, and you'll go a lot further.  The fact that you're even asking about it is enough to tell me that you're making an intelligent effort towards doing it right.  Just know that consulting is a tough business to start from scratch, and be prepared to work for what you want. 

Additionally, put together a business plan, and talk to outsiders who have been through the whole process, successfully, so that you have some idea what to expect, as well as how to go about certain things, make informed decisions, etc.  While not necessarily 'mirroring' their business and efforts, follow their examples, and tailor yourself for success!

Keep on track, and you'll go far in business AND life. 

Good luck, delusion.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

caissyd

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:48 am

I did the same plunge 3 years ago. At that time, I had 8 years experience in IT.

One thing I did, in addition to having a good contract BEFORE I left, was to take a one year without pay. This way, if something didn't work out the way I was thinking, I could go back to my previous job.

BTW, the hardest thing for my as a contractor now is training. I used to have 1 week a year of paid training/conference. Now, I obviously pay everything myself. For example, a SANS course at roughly $4000 + travel $1200 + lost in revenue of $4000 = $9200 for a week long course!!! It used to be free...

You also need an accountant ($2000/yr), health plan in the US (I leave in Canada!), dental plan, put money aside for a pension, etc.

BUT, I love changing place often, meeting new people all the time, touching different technologies, etc.

Bottom line, I wouldn't go back as an employee who more often than not, stay in the same office for years, doing more the less the same things every day... (ok, I am pushing a bit, but...)

Hope that helped!
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

partek

Post Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:10 am

H1t M0nk3y wrote:BTW, the hardest thing for my as a contractor now is training. I used to have 1 week a year of paid training/conference. Now, I obviously pay everything myself. For example, a SANS course at roughly $4000 + travel $1200 + lost in revenue of $4000 = $9200 for a week long course!!! It used to be free...

Loss of revenue when doing a course or conference is definitely a perspective  of consulting that I never thought of.

I've entertained the idea of taking the consulting plunge throughout my career, but haven't been brave enough yet to do it. I figure if anything happens to my current position I may just finally go for it.

What type of consulting do you do? You're independent I take it?
CISSP, CISM, CISA, CCNA Security, OSCP, CEH
<<

delusion

Post Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:37 am

Really helpful responses guys, you sure do no how to make someone welcome.  Thanks for the continued support  ;D
You Cant Resolve Problems Whilst At WAR!

Return to Career Central