OWASP members

<<

secureseve

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:22 pm

OWASP members

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you are OWASP members and at what chapter? I'm considering joining the NY/NJ Metro chapter, and at $50/year, it's not that bad. I've read through OWASP and I know what they offer for members and what not, but I'm looking to hear from your personal experiences. What are the meetings like? Is it fun? Did you learn alot? Meet a lot of cool people/make friends? Are the speeches and stuff similar to cons like blackhat, defcon, etc.? (I've never been to any of the cons, so I'm just curious)
http://twitter.com/mikesantillana
eLearnSecurity Team Member.
<<

caissyd

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:00 pm

Re: OWASP members

I was going (and still want to) join the Ottawa (Canada) chapter, but sadly, they don't seem very active. I think they have 6 to 8 meetings a year.

A guy I know have been there a few times. He told me people are very nice, it is informal (eating pizza) and relaxing. He liked the talks but didn't much about them. But at least, he wanted to go back, so it can't be that bad.

I hope it helped a bit... i am interested to in what people have to say about them. OWASP do great stuff and I like their web site!
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

Anquilas

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:13 am

I've been going to a few meetings of my local (Belgian) chapter, and it's certainly very interesting. It's a great gathering place to get to know the local security faces, build up some connections, and definitely build up your knowledge with the presentations.

I can certainly recommend it.

(btw, you don't -have- to be a paying member to attend the presentations and such, at least not here afaik :) )
Twitter: https://twitter.com/dietervds
Blog: https://synquell.wordpress.com (not much there yet)

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.
<<

sil

Post Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:21 pm

secureseven wrote:Hey guys, just wondering if any of you are OWASP members and at what chapter? I'm considering joining the NY/NJ Metro chapter

For the NY, NJ chapter would be worth it. That chapter tends to get the most speakers which means you're likely to learn a lot more than the smaller chapters. I've attended OWASP meetings in a few places, the last being in Hartford. I just barely have time to go anymore.

1) Its a great way to network
2) Great way to see how to make (or how NOT to make) presentations
3) Somewhere along the way you can learn some really cool stuff
4) Supermodels attend.

Alright so number 4 is a lie. I just maintain a supermodel desktop image and pretend they do.

Return to Web Applications