The Next HOPE

<<

caissyd

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:57 am

The Next HOPE

Anyone went to the "The Next HOPE", which took place last weekend (July 16 - 18) in New York City?

I am curious to get some feedback about this conference...
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

sil

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:20 am

Re: The Next HOPE

H1t M0nk3y wrote:Anyone went to the "The Next HOPE", which took place last weekend (July 16 - 18) in New York City?

I am curious to get some feedback about this conference...

I had planned on going to HOPE as I haven't been there since HOPE2K however, my scheduling is outright horrible until Sept. when I did go to HOPE2K though, sadly I didn't even stick around for the majority of the talks. Five minutes into the majority of them and we were gone. At the time I had friends from all over the US come down to hang out at HOPE and it became just that... An excuse to go out and drink, hang out in Chelsea Pier in NYC, etc. That was time spent better than what was being talked about at HOPE.

An issue I have with HOPE is who is leading the conference (2600). I'm not a fan of 2600 and certainly HOPE is not LISA, Defcon, Blackhat or Shmoo. For the most part, I would spend my money on a different conference. HOPE just doesn't have that "gotta go there" type of content, locale, etc.. This year the overhyping came via way of Julian Assange (Wikileaks) and the melee he's into. There was nothing I could visibly see via marketing, rumor or word of mouth that gave the conference the "must attend" impression. Now ask yourself this... In most conferences (Blackhat, Shmoo, Defcon, etc) many security professionals blog about/talk about/link to/brag about that one talk... So far, zip, zilch, nada coming out of HOPE.

Ah... HOPE2K, the memories, beer, friends, girls and who could forget Jello Biafra. Just like Biafra though, I believe HOPE may have run out of just that... Hope
<<

caissyd

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:55 am

That's what I was afraid of...
Glad I chose to go to Def Con instead!
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

pizza1337

Post Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:20 am

here are videos from the next hope if anyone is interested http://hattorrents.com/
Knowledge Resource is Power.
<<

caissyd

Post Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:28 pm

Great, thanks pizza1337
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)

Return to Other