"Free Monthly Giveaways" - Details

<<

tylerver

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:09 pm

Re: "Free Monthly Giveaways" - Details

And as far as giving back, I work for Apple in the on-base stores here in Europe. We help people understand their new computer, and so forth. Two weeks ago, on my own dime, I drove a customer to the Apple store in Munchen to get her iMac fixed and considerable time on the phone with apple care because she didn't register her computer right away. Does that qualify as helping out in the community. And next month I will be working part time for a program on the military bases called CHILD AND YOUTH SERVICES, working tin the technology lab teaching teenagers other things you can do with computers besides Facebook and amazon.
<<

Triban

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:43 pm

Well that is pretty good but we are referring to the security community.  Best way to learn here is to get involved.  Getting different perspectives and new eye on things helps evolve the community.  That being said, don't be offended if you happen to ask a question and no one responds right away.  It could mean a few things...

• The question has been asked about a million times and there is a forum dedicated to it.
  • No one answered because you may not have shown that you researched a bit on your own.
    • Or, we are all super busy that day and don't always get on the forum regularly :D
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

Jamie.R

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:18 am

Yah the thing I love about this site is all the help you get from others its alway help to make new friend in the security industry.
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

tylerver

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:55 am

Well, I am currently in sales and just starting towards my degree in security. So I have been digging forums here and a few other places. But just like you said, this is a great place to read about some of the tips and tricks of the community.
<<

Petticrew

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:39 am

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. My intention was to include past winners even before the full year expired if there were no other contributors that matched their output.
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:43 am

In full agreement with the others, don.

I'm all for 12 month delays, as well as including someone a little early, if they truly are the only real contributor. But as has been noted, it's pretty rare anymore, that at least SOMEONE different isn't deserving, every month, during that 12 month wait. ;)
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

UKSecurityGuy

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:53 am

A 12 month gap seems fair to me too, considering the price of some of the prizes.

I would probably add an allowed defering period though for the prize. For example - if I was picked to win a course that was unsuitable for my skillset (Advanced Python coding for example) and then the next month a prize arrived that I would really like to do, but I stood no chance of winning it because of a 12 month break, I'd be a little disapointed.

I know you currently work on the "most deserving that can use it" princible, so some kind of scheme where you could defer a prize, but be considered for another prize in the next couple of months if the original prize is not entirely suitable would be great
Previous

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net