Access router at a different location

<<

pezinburg

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Access router at a different location

I was wondering if there were a way to log into a router at a different location without being in the area to pickup the wifi signal. This has also been an extension of something else I've been trying to do which is gain remote access to my laptop through a router. I've tried port forwarding but for an unseen reason to myself, I've not been able to get it working. Any suggestions or places I can look and read up on the processes or whatnot relevant to these tasks? Would be great, thanks!
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:55 pm

Re: Access router at a different location

What type of router? It sounds like you're referring to a SOHO unit like a D-Link or Linksys.

If they support remote management, you'll probably have to enable that somewhere in the advanced settings. If you're working with an enterprise-class router, it should support a variety of remote administrative protocols. SSH would be recommended, and you'd ideally use ACLs to limit the IP address or addresses ranges that could connect to that service.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

pezinburg

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:38 pm

Given my limited knowledge of routers, I was asking in more of a general scope. Upon further observation of my own inquiries, I was in fact looking for answers regarding the Linksys type as well as Actiontec for my other question. In regards to logging into a router at a separate location, the Linksys applies; for getting through the router to a computer in the LAN, Actiontec. I'll configure remote management and try it again as this is what I had attempted when port forwarding didn't work and I still had trouble.
<<

Ketchup

Post Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:59 am

You can forward the HTTP management feature to the Internet.  You would just publish the internal IP address of the router to the external IP address of the router on port 80 or 443.  I would not recommend doing this from a security perspective.  If the router supports SSH or Telenet, you can push those through the same way.  Again, that's a bad idea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

rebrov

Post Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:20 pm

if you want to just access the router from WAN connection or from remote location u just have to access it via telnet if its supported already or SSH or VPN ...but if u want to access specific pc inside the WAN network portforward the port to its local IP like 192.168.1.5 like 3389 the RDP protocol

check again about port forwarding

Return to Wireless