Programing Lang.

<<

COm_BOY

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:24 pm

Programing Lang.

I was looking to learn some programing stuff cause i m n00b into it . I found the following out , can anyone comment on it ?

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-e ... fall-2008/

It says it has python into it .
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Programing Lang.

I don't have any experience with that one, but this might be of interest to you if you're interested in Python: http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... picseen,1/
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

Xen

Post Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:42 pm

If you've never done any programming then I would suggest starting out with some other language like C and C++. Python is good if you just want to be able to understand some code. But if you dive into other stuff like source code auditing, reversing etc you need to thoroughly understand memory concepts like data types and data structures which the scripting languages don't cover extensively. If you've some understanding of the concepts in C and C++ then learning other languages won't be very difficult.
<<

morpheus063

Post Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:07 am

Yes, I second Equix3n-

Two best links / course (ofcourse free through internet) that I can suggest are :

Now how to start or view the course, very simple - open up youtube.com and search for CS106A and CS106B and you will get the videos as a playlist which you can follow.

Hope this helps :)

Happy Learning
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

yatz

Post Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:43 pm

Manu Zacharia (-M-) wrote:Now how to start or view the course, very simple - open up youtube.com and search for CS106A and CS106B and you will get the videos as a playlist which you can follow.

I love how much free stuff is out there.  It is hard to find good tutorials/classes.  It's almost like there's so much out there that it's hard to narrow down what you are looking for.

As for learning programming, the best thing you can do is learning by doing.  When you get some basic knowledge on how programming works, think of some cool little app you want to do or a process you want to automate, logically think it through, and then code it.  If you're not sure, search for the answers.

<nostalgia>
I started back with QBasic and started doing simple games like random number dice games and little graphics puzzles.  Then of course there was the Gorilla game that was too much fun for as simple as it was, and it was an amazing thing when I realized I could read the code and make changes that actually did something.  It sparks an interest that never dies... ah the good old days.
</nostalgia>

The point is, think of something, no matter how simple, and get the computer to do it for you.  Then add to it.  If you're an admin-type, then try VBScript and automate some stuff that you do routinely.

Before you know it you'll be as good as pizza1337 writing shellcode!!

:D
"Live as though you would die tomorrow, learn as though you would live forever."

CCNA, MCSA, MCTS, Sec+, Net+, Linux+, CEH
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:14 pm

yatz wrote:As for learning programming, the best thing you can do is learning by doing.  When you get some basic knowledge on how programming works, think of some cool little app you want to do or a process you want to automate, logically think it through, and then code it.  If you're not sure, search for the answers.

I completely agree. Some of my favorite books for learning programming are the cookbooks, cool script/hack books, etc. It's fun if you try to just look at the title of the hack/script/recipe and try to do it on your own before seeing how it was done in the book.

This is a site I was recently exposed to and am starting to work on: http://projecteuler.net/ I hear it's kind of math-heavy, but it should still be fun/interesting to some.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

Ketchup

Post Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:34 pm

I will agree with the above as well.  I took a bunch of programming languages in school.  I left without any real understanding of programming.  I didn't really grock it until I starting programming.  At some point, you go through a eureka moment, and then it makes sense.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup

Return to Programming