Cracking into telnet

<<

Svenxix

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Cracking into telnet

I recently acquired an HP server for my lab but Im having a hard time getting into it. There is no keyboard/mouse pci ports, and when I plug a monitor into it nothing shows up. I can power up the machine and try to telnet into the box, but I dont know any user names or passwords.

Any ideas on how to gain access to it? After a little research I think the machine is running HP-UX 11 and was made in about 2000.
<<

ziggy_567

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: Cracking into telnet

The easiest way to do this is to boot the box off the install media. (I'm not familiar enough with HP-UX to give you line by line instructions.) Once you have the box up and running off the install media, you will mount the filesystems and edit the /etc/shadow file. Generally, you'll blank the root password, but while you're in there you can find other users. It might be a good idea to blank those passwords as well in case you can't log in directly as root.

HTH
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

vekarman

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:35 am

Re: Cracking into telnet

svenxix,

I think you got a PA-RISC based Unix box. Probably, it does not support normal PC Monitor. It will have a console port on which you can plug in a null modem cable and a dumb serial terminal. You can try to get a terminal emulation software on a PC and connect PC serial port to console port of the server. Then see it displays anything. You might have to set various combination of serial port like baud rate, bits, parity etc.. You can ask the seller to provide a console also with the server.

I have worked with HPUX server and they are fantastic workhorse. But PA-RISC and HPUX is already dead!! What you plan to do with it now? I could not understand HP's strategy to kill its own beautiful product. Come on, it is not an Inkjet printer which is born every six months!

HTH

Kishore
CISSP

Return to Network Pen Testing