[Article]-July 2010 Free Giveaway Sponsor - SANS vLive

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:42 pm

[Article]-July 2010 Free Giveaway Sponsor - SANS vLive

More prizes for the professionally inclined...

Permanent link: [Article]-July 2010 Free Giveaway Sponsor - SANS vLive

Win SANS Security Training Worth $3500!!

As the unfortunate realities of the economy still plague us, there's more of a need than ever for quality training without the expense of travel. SANS has responded with vLive. As they describe it, "SANS vLive! leverages webcast flexibility and the latest online technology to enhance students' learning experience. SANS vLive! live Webcasts are scheduled once or twice a week for 3 hours, depending on course requirements, and feature Elluminate Live!™, a collaboration of realtime, interactive online tools to bring quality security education direct to your desktop." So what does that mean? There's not just a flashy online version of PPT decks... you get real interaction with the instructors live on your own desktop from the comfort of your own home. Up for grabs this month to one top contributor is a free seat in either:

- SEC504: Hacker Techniques, Exploits & Incident Handling  (starting 11/9) taught by Bryce Galbraith and John Strand[br /]
-
SEC542: Web App Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking (starting 12/6) taught by Kevin Johnson and Seth Misenar 

Each of these courses are worth approximately $3500. So what are you waiting for? Go spread the good word of EH-Net, participate in the forums, offer help on a project. Put simply... You give back to the security community, EH-Net rewards you!!

Participation is the ONLY way to win. Start a thread that sparks lots of interest; share thoughts and experiences; help a newbie... quality is more important than quantity.

Only members are eligible!
Registration Is FREE!

Good luck,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: [Article]-July 2010 Free Giveaway Sponsor - SANS vLive

Oh, that's a nice one. Great Don. ;)
<<

yatz

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Wow that sounds great!  Has anyone taken these classes or are they new?
"Live as though you would die tomorrow, learn as though you would live forever."

CCNA, MCSA, MCTS, Sec+, Net+, Linux+, CEH
<<

ziggy_567

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:33 pm

I took 504 vLive with Ed Skoudis and John Strand, and it was great! I think I prefer the vLive format to the live classes.

1) You get your books a week in advance, so you can read ahead.
2) You have a few days between class meetings so you can digest and dig further between classes.
3) Classes only last 3-4 hours per session, so you don't get information overload.

***crossing my fingers for SEC542 - cause I could really use it***
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

sil

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:41 pm

yar! (this is where I say forgot voting Pedro!)
<<

T_Bone

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:20 pm

Here we go again, another Brilliant prize (Thanks Don) where once again i will be trying to work out how i can win it...hahaha ;)
<<

rvs

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:59 pm

Question how do you guys get funding for your trainings. Does your company give you budget? Do you save a lot of money? Men you guys are lucky.
<<

T_Bone

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:30 am

@rvs.... I with you, these guys are lucky because there is not way my company will fund this sort of money for training for me (could be i am in the wrong company though...)

I am based in the UK and they have agreed for me to go to Brucon (http://2010.brucon.org/index.php/Main_Page) this year which is not an official training course just a hackercon but am impressed i have got this!
<<

j0rDy

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:22 am

*hands down*
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:43 am

rvs wrote:Question how do you guys get funding for your trainings. Does your company give you budget? Do you save a lot of money? Men you guys are lucky.

Save as best as possible and pay out-of-pocket. Investing in yourself is certainly better than buying some fancy new gadgets or other stuff. If I were to put a number on it, my guess is that I've probably spent $10K on classes/trainings/exams in the past 4 years or so. Has it paid off? I think so. I've surely made that back and then some.

For those of us that do have to pay our own way, prizes like this are truly awesome! And I'm sure it helps those that get training budgets too :P

Great prize (again), Don! Good luck to all!

BillV
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:20 am

We get $4k annually to spend as we see fit (to an extent, it does have to be applicable to what we do and get approved). I probably spend close to that myself on myself though.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

ziggy_567

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:25 am

@rvs and all others without a budget:

Ironically, because 504 was vLive, I was more able to sell the class to my management. The class itself was more expensive than most, but there is no travel involved which saved my company a plane ticket, hotel expenses, rental car expenses, and a per diem. To top it all off, the class meets after hours since I'm Central time, so they don't even lose productivity from me for the week I would normally be out of the office. Most rational employers would have a hard time arguing with you that its not a great deal provided the training is applicable to your job.

Another way I sold the class is that just about the time I was lobbying for the class was the time a lot of news agencies ran a story about Russian mobs spear-phishing SMB's for financial transactions. Since we are a SMB, I posed the question how/who would respond to the incident if we were involved in such an attack. My training was approved the very next day.

Good luck!
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

rattis

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:22 am

I tend to save and pay out of pocket. I've worked at places that claimed to offer training. but never seemed to get any, other than the in house stuff  on how to use their tools.

1 place I worked at, did send me to vendor training a few times, and even paid for my boot camp after I took it but not the travel.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

yatz

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:07 am

I sometimes get training through the company, but there has to be a good reason.  Conventions are not high on the "good reason" list unless there is a talk specifically about some upcoming project.

Saving up and paying out of pocket is hard when you can't even afford the electric bill...  :P
"Live as though you would die tomorrow, learn as though you would live forever."

CCNA, MCSA, MCTS, Sec+, Net+, Linux+, CEH
<<

rvs

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:21 am

Well nice to hear that everyone.... I miss those days when most of the companies are dying to train young bloods.... just to get more competent people. Even just for a new grad then hard freaking technical exams.... plus midnight shifts... days are gone.... well that being said. excluding Offsec... seems most are SANS cert... here in US govt would they prefer SANS cert as a requirement or ?!
Next

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net