Offensive Security now funding BackTrack developers

<<

yatz

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:21 am

Offensive Security now funding BackTrack developers

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/backtrack/backtrack-present-and-future/

Information security experts who focus on penetration testing  rely on BackTrack as the leading distribution for their practices. BackTrack started as a personal side project well over 5 years ago and by now has been downloaded over 5 million times.

Many people have devoted countless hours of their lives to make sure BackTrack is the best it can be.  Now it is time to take that to the next level. Offensive Security has started officially funding the development of BackTrack, allowing for a more steady development cycle.

Together with the unbelievable support and help of the open source community which has cared for us over the years, we are ready to take BackTrack to a whole new level. This move will give BackTrack the momentum it needs to maintain real time updates, to support full time quality development and explore new and exciting options in the development of the world’s #1 choice distribution for penetration testers.
Last edited by yatz on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Live as though you would die tomorrow, learn as though you would live forever."

CCNA, MCSA, MCTS, Sec+, Net+, Linux+, CEH
<<

secureseve

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: Offensive Security now fuding BackTrack developers

Oh wow. The distro will get better from here on out I bet. Up to date tools and steady release cycle sounds good to me. I wonder if they will move to a more current Ubuntu based version, like 10.4 the new LTS?
http://twitter.com/mikesantillana
eLearnSecurity Team Member.
<<

kriscamaro68

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:56 pm

I wonder if this means that they will be charging for Backtrack when the next release comes out since they are now paying for developers? Either way sounds awesome.
A+, Net+, Server+, Security+, MCP/XP
<<

secureseve

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:14 pm

I'll pay for it as long as I can get an option for Gnome and 64bit. I know, I know, use the right tool for the right job. But frankly, I'm tired of reboots and running it in a VM. If they are paying developers, I don't see a reason for it not to be able to be used as a full distro that I can develop in as well as use skype reliably.
<<

UNIX

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:07 am

@kriscamaro68:

What does this mean? This means that from this day onwards, the BackTrack distribution will have a more stable development cycle, more versatility and better QA – while remaining free, as always.
<<

kriscamaro68

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:15 am

awesec wrote:@kriscamaro68:

What does this mean? This means that from this day onwards, the BackTrack distribution will have a more stable development cycle, more versatility and better QA – while remaining free, as always.

I guess I should have clicked on the link and read the whole thing. That is awesome to know. Thanks.
A+, Net+, Server+, Security+, MCP/XP
<<

Grendel

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:30 am

Out of curiosity, does anyone use BT in a formal penetration test? I use it in my lab, but from day one, all the pentest teams I've worked with roll our own attack platforms (less bloat, more control, better understanding of what's on the system, etc.).

So... anyone use it professionally, other than in a lab?

- Tom Wilhelm
- Thomas Wilhelm, MSCS MSM
ISSMP CISSP SCSECA SCNA IEM

Web Site:
  • http://HackingDojo.com
Author:
  • Professional Penetration Testing
  • Ninja Hacking
  • Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit
  • Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing
  • Netcat Power Tools
<<

secureseve

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Offensive Security now funding BackTrack developers

I am not a professional, yet  ;D , but i do the same thing as you. I normally install only the best tools I need that I have tested from BT. I don't need 20 different sub-domain enumerators, or 3-4 different Aircrack GUI front-ends (or any at all lol). So yeah, I test out the tools, and then install the tools I like onto my system,. I only wish I could figure out how to get the tweaks from the BT kernel into my distro.

Post-Script: I do keep a live BT USB that I carry with me at all times. Along with all my other portable apps. Kind of like a samurai carrying around his katana at all times  ;)
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Offensive Security now funding BackTrack developers

It's one of several VMs I bring along for the ride, but even that one has been changed significantly from the vanilla BT4. Having a bootable USB copy is also nice if you're doing something like a physical walkthrough and you want to demonstrate booting to it off of a public machine (i.e. a kiosk) as a PoC. My main Linux VM is currently Xubuntu 10.04.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.

Return to Tools