Merits of Security Certification

<<

yatz

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:15 am

Merits of Security Certification

Ok, I need some help here.

How do I convince my employer that Security Certification is the right decision?

As you can see from my certs listed below I have a pretty good basic knowledge of computers, and my only real specialty has been in Windows administration.  I am really getting into the security side of things, but it doesn't really affect my day-to-day tasks.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!  ;D
"Live as though you would die tomorrow, learn as though you would live forever."

CCNA, MCSA, MCTS, Sec+, Net+, Linux+, CEH
<<

Ketchup

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:41 am

Re: Merits of Security Certification

I think that most employers are going to be somewhat conscious of information security and the associated risks these days.  It's an area of increasing concern for many companies. 

Do you already have dedicated security professionals in your company?  Either way, you could argue that certification will help you become more conscious of the threats your company is facing and improve the overall security level.  Are there any regulatory requirements that apply?  If so, there are often security requirements that are part of those.  There are a ton of statistics about threats, compromises, and damages on the web.  You should be able to build a case for yourself fairly easily.  I would indicate that you are seeking additional responsibilities.  Decent employers usually value this. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

UNIX

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:10 pm

What exactly are your tasks at work? Even if it's only little related to security, you might be able to establish a connection between it with the certification you desire.

Since CEH is not vendor-specific and very broad, it supplies you with knowledge which can be applied to most areas without bounding you to anything specific. Arguing this way and maybe also adding that the learned knowledge could be used to also educate other employees (e.g. through a workshop or presentation) might increase your chances too to get what you aim for.

As already indicated by Ketchup, it will certainly help when you get prepared into such a discussion, maybe even writing down a few key facts why you might think that it would be good and valuable for your employer/ company to pay for your certs.
<<

yatz

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:10 am

Thanks for the replies guys!

My responsibilities are more along the lines of system administration, some project tasks, software implementation, some coding, etc.  Classic mile-wide-inch-deep kind of workload.

Right now we don't have a dedicated security position as the responsibilities are divided among the staff.  I'd like to say we have our bases covered but how do you know unless you KNOW!  :)

I like the ideas!  If anyone has more I want to try and have this done today sometime.

I appreciate the help!
"Live as though you would die tomorrow, learn as though you would live forever."

<<

sil

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:21 am

yatz wrote:Right now we don't have a dedicated security position as the responsibilities are divided among the staff.  I'd like to say we have our bases covered but how do you know unless you KNOW!  :)

In order to get them to move (any business for this matter), you have to present this in a business case on why they'd want to do it (pay for your training). Present a business case to them on the costs of a security engineer/admin if you hired one. The cost of a compromise versus paying for your training. How responsible it would make them look to their clients and or partners and or vendors that they had responsible and qualified individuals on staff.
<<

yatz

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:04 pm

Ok I submitted my case.  Let's hope for a positive result!

Thanks for the assistance, I used most of what was suggested so THANK YOU!

<<

UNIX

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:13 pm

Let us know how it went. :)

Return to General Certification