Tools for Wifi sniffing

<<

m0rg4n

Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:01 pm

Tools for Wifi sniffing

Ok... I am having some issues with commview for wifi 6.3 and I am in need of a new (free/cheap) tool for wifi packet sniffing. I have a strong preference for GUI since my boss has no idea and wants to be able to see what's going on. Anyone have any suggestions?

Further, if anyone could explain to me why commview is freking out and telling me that I'm in compatibility mode (when I'm not) it would be helpful. Thanks!
<<

Ketchup

Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Tools for Wifi sniffing

Have you tried Wireshark?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

UNIX

Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:29 pm

I'd also recommend Wireshark. You might find this list useful as well.
<<

m0rg4n

Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:24 pm

I have wireshark but don't have the necessary hardware for wireless monitoring with that program.
<<

rattis

Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:06 pm

m0rg4n wrote:I have wireshark but don't have the necessary hardware for wireless monitoring with that program.

shouldn't any wireless card work? I know sometimes there are hoops to jump through. How are you testing without a card with commview?
OSWP, Sec+
<<

m0rg4n

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:55 am

It's strange, I know, but Wireshark uses a tool called airpcap...which costs anywhere from $200+ but commview for wifi simply shuts off your net connection and just starts listening. Which is why I enjoyed the program for the very short period that I had it running.

I was thinking there might be something in the registry that screwed up but to be honest I don't trust myself in there. Perhaps someone could give Commview for Wifi a shot and see if it works for them. You can find it on www.tamos.com and they have different variations but the one I find most useful if Commview for Wifi since most of us use wireshark for ethernet capturing.

I would love to just get the program working again. :(
<<

m0rg4n

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:57 am

if anyone knows how to listen to a wifi network from the outside with wireshark, that info would be mucho helpful as well.  :D
<<

Ketchup

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:35 am

Can you switch to Linux?  Ubuntu is very easy to get going and should let you sniff any traffic you want in Wireshark? 

Also, Windows should only give you an issue with monitor mode.  You should still be able to sniff after association in promiscuous mode, but that may not be enough for you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

m0rg4n

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm an information management officer in the military and my job at the moment is to play red-hat and show these guys how easy it is to break certain encryption. After contacting the techies at Tamosoft, I have resolved the issue with that program, works fine now. Anyone interested in wifi packet capture, trust me, this program, while expensive, is probably one of the best and most user friendly ones out there.
Now I just have to aquire the fundage to get the full version.  :-\ sometimes piracy isn't the crime...sometimes the crime is charging $1000 for a single-purpose computer program and damn-near forcing people to pirate the software. What a shame. Thanks again!
<<

Phaile

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:36 am

Not sure if this will help, but in my course/co-op at my college we strictly use Wireshark and the wireless sniffing works. We had to install winpcap which is a free download and I have not had any issues sniffing on the network, either hardwired in or on wireless.  You can grab winpcap here: http://www.winpcap.org/install/default.htm

Again, not sure if it will solve your problem as I am still in the process of learning.
<<

rattis

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:10 pm

going back to Ketchup's idea of Linux... Aircrack Suite?
OSWP, Sec+
<<

secureseve

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:01 pm

I agree with the others. I don't think I've ever had problems with wireshark in windows or linux. And as chrisj said, you can use aircrack-ng suite and most likely netstumbler to capture packets.
http://twitter.com/mikesantillana
eLearnSecurity Team Member.
<<

jimbob

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:49 pm

m0rg4n wrote:It's strange, I know, but Wireshark uses a tool called airpcap...which costs anywhere from $200+

libpcap is free and so is WireShark. It will run on both windows and Linux, and probably some other operating systems. Kismet is really great for monitoring and sniffing wireless networks, you might want to check that out.

Jimbob

Return to Wireless