Hello!

<<

DannyAcs

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:48 am

Hello!

Hey. Can yoo all show me how to be l337 haxxor and pwn the internetz and all the pr0n.

Just kidding  ;D

Hi, I am a sysadmin in my 30s and looking to move into the security field. I have been reading these forums for a few weeks and have seen some interesting discussions and learnt a lot but I thought it was time I joined in.

Main interests are network security and forensics and I recently (well, 5 months or so ago) got my CEH.

I am not as experienced as some of you and more experienced than others. I will freely share my experience when I know what I'm talking about and enjoy learning when I don't.

As my first IT teacher (Commodore PC20 8086 machines with massive 20Mb HDDs  ;D) said - "I am ignorant. I am ignorant about a great many things. I will attempt to pass on some of the things about which I am not ignorant and admit to the things about which I am"

I am looking forward to the discussions.
<<

j0rDy

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:41 am

Re: Hello!

Hi and welcome to EH.net! i hope you enjoy your stay!
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

yatz

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:24 am

Welcome!  I like the quote you posted.  I've found that if you know where to look for information, ignorance doesn't matter as much.
"Live as though you would die tomorrow, learn as though you would live forever."

CCNA, MCSA, MCTS, Sec+, Net+, Linux+, CEH
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:05 am

Hello and welcome aboard! :)

Are you currently pursuing anything in the forensics realm? Any ideas of what you may target?

BillV
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:45 pm

Welcome to EH-Net, DannyAcs. ;)
<<

impelse

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:27 pm

Welcome.

I bealived that many people got the same like you, they liked the site, they read a lot of it (dayly like me) and after many days (or months) decided to write a post. So welcome again.
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

DannyAcs

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks very much for the welcomes!

I've found that if you know where to look for information, ignorance doesn't matter as much.

Absolutely, I always find that if I don't know about something, then a web search can usually turn up some basic information which tends to be a good starting point to explore the subject further.

Are you currently pursuing anything in the forensics realm? Any ideas of what you may target?

Well, I'm looking at CHFI as a possibilty. I'm particularly interested in the incident response (breaches etc) side of forensics but data recovery is also appealing to me. I have just started playing around with Helix on a USB stick and getting a feel for whats possible with it.

I guess that as I gain more experience, I'll work out where in the security field I most want to be.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:24 pm

Welcome. Love the opening. Looking forward to the rest of your story.

Glad you're taking the time to figure out what fits you best, because if you didn't, you'd wind up somewhere just nowhere you thought you might.

I've often used the anology of a row boat going down a river. Life is like the river, it never stops. If you don't row and decide where you want to be, the river won't stop. That means you won't stop. You may just end up upside-down on the bank of the river watching others flow effortlessly down the river.

Keep rowing and your destiny is all yours.

Whoa... like totally deep, dude.  8)

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Xen

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:54 pm

Welcome to EHNet!
<<

impelse

Post Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:38 am

Good example
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

JollyJokker

Post Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:51 pm

Welcome to the forum! My story is similar to yours; Advice: put this forum in your top 5 bookmarks, trust me, I'm talkin about serious addiction!  ;D
<<

BC_minded

Post Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:28 pm

I'm Brian, a banker. Been in San Francisco for the whole 30 years. I work hard and I play hard. I'm glad to be here! :D
<<

venom77

Post Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:15 am

BC_minded wrote:I'm Brian, a banker. Been in San Francisco for the whole 30 years. I work hard and I play hard. I'm glad to be here! :D

Welcome to the site :)
<<

zeroflaw

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:54 am

Welcome to the club!  8)
ZF
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:31 am

BC_minded wrote:I'm Brian, a banker. Been in San Francisco for the whole 30 years. I work hard and I play hard. I'm glad to be here! :D

Welcome to EH-Net.

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net