do I need a laptop besides my PC?

<<

firstbitdrv

Post Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:37 pm

do I need a laptop besides my PC?

To practice the Wireless hacking module, I don't have enough money but I wonder if I really need it  ???
<<

venom77

Post Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: do I need a laptop besides my PC?

You can purchase a wireless adapter for your PC that will handle all of your wireless needs. Do a search for: alfa networks awus036h

BillV
<<

firstbitdrv

Post Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:54 pm

But still I will not be able to wardriving, it will be pretty much fixed into my room
Is there any other things, besides wireless hacking, that I would use a laptop for in CEH learning???
<<

venom77

Post Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:02 pm

No.

And at no point in the CEH curriculum to they tell you to go wardriving. You should have your own wireless network to attempt to attack, not others.

At the very least, it will allow you to run some of the tools and see how they work (without going much further). And that's really the extent of what you should need for the exam.

BillV
<<

firstbitdrv

Post Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:36 pm

I wouldn't harm anyone if that's what you mean, but I thought wardriving can be harmless. Sorry I'm still a beginner  ;D

Yes I should have my own wireless network, so I need the wireless router and a laptop only right? or maybe I could just get a wireless NIC for my PC and save the money ???
<<

rattis

Post Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:22 pm

The "main" reason for war driving is to look for unsecure wifi to use, or weak wifi to crack.

Very few people do it for any reason besides that.

You'll need a wireless router and something to connect to your PC. Don't know about the CEH, but if you have a laptop too, you can practice some neat stuff using aircrack (WiFU class).
OSWP, Sec+
<<

firstbitdrv

Post Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:35 pm

Thanks Chris, that's what I wanted to know (if a laptop would help me) because I have about $700 left and I want spend it wisely  ;D
Anyway, I will get it when I'm half way in the CEH certification.
<<

venom77

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:50 am

As already mentioned, a laptop is not required. You need a wireless router and a wireless NIC for your PC. Depending on the operating system you're running, you'll want to check compatibility between the OS, W-NIC, and tools. You can also go the virtual route and run a virtual BT4 system inside your PC. Good luck and let us know if you need any further help.

BillV
<<

firstbitdrv

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:56 am

Thanks,

I have windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits, but what is virtual BT4 system  ??? is it a virtual wireless system like VMs for example?
<<

venom77

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:10 am

BT4 = BackTrack 4

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/

It's a complete Linux distribution, aimed at security. The newest CEH version probably includes a copy with the courseware.
<<

rattis

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:39 am

firstbitdrv wrote:Thanks Chris, that's what I wanted to know (if a laptop would help me) because I have about $700 left and I want spend it wisely  ;D
Anyway, I will get it when I'm half way in the CEH certification.

You can find some cheap options out there, Netbooks don't look to bad. You can also find some Used options out there that will help you save money.Doesn't need to be top of the line, just good enough to run the OS and play.

But like BillV said you don't need a laptop at this time. Personally, I'd wait and finish the Cert and then if you get a new job because of it, then buy a laptop when you have more money.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

firstbitdrv

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:51 pm

Yes you got a point but if I really need it to help with studying, then I should get it. I was reading about cracking password using rainbow tables, and I'dlike to give it a try so getting another machine will help alot.

Still money is a problem ::)
<<

rattis

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:20 pm

firstbitdrv wrote:Yes you got a point but if I really need it to help with studying, then I should get it. I was reading about cracking password using rainbow tables, and I'dlike to give it a try so getting another machine will help alot.

Still money is a problem ::)

Don't need another physical box.

Look in to Virtual Box or VMWare. You can get free (legal) versions of each to use. It's what I did when I was working on the book review for Hacking for Dummies. I set up a couple of virtual machines on my laptop (only computer I had at the time). I have BT4, 2 WXP boxes (had keys for each), and a Fedora Linux box.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

firstbitdrv

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:47 am

Yes that's right but what if you are already running multiple instance of VMs on your pc? I have 8 GBs of RAM and yet it's not enough. If I'm running a brute force attack software it will slow things even more  ::)

Anyway, you are right. I shouldn't get the laptop unless I really need it. Thanks for your help man, I'm downloading BT4 and yes Hacking for Dummies is a good book. I'm going to start with it before the CEH CBT or books.
Thanks again
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:59 am

8GB should be more than enough. How many VMs do you need at the same time and what for?
Next

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker