Expired certs

<<

yatz

Post Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:56 pm

Expired certs

Here's a question for those certs that require re-certification.

When your certification expires, do you still claim the cert on your resume/business cards/etc.?

I was looking at the ISC certs which look like they require re-certification every 3 years but what if it expires?

I also had a CCNA that expired last year.  I haven't been claiming it as current knowledge but I have been tempted to...
"Live as though you would die tomorrow, learn as though you would live forever."

CCNA, MCSA, MCTS, Sec+, Net+, Linux+, CEH
<<

secureseve

Post Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:18 pm

Re: Expired certs

I don't have any certs. yet, but I don't think it would hurt to put when your cert. expired on your CV. Having it is still an accomplishment, recertification I'm sure is a hassle, and I think that once the CV makes it past the HR, the hiring IT manager would understand as long as you have relevant experience.
http://twitter.com/mikesantillana
eLearnSecurity Team Member.
<<

rattis

Post Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:06 pm

I left mine on the resume for a while (ccna). Now it's listed at the top in the Summery (Instead of an objective).

For example this is how mine looks currently:

Contact info:

Summery:
Experienced in Linux Administration, Windows Administration,  Network Design and Maintenance, Firewalls and Network Security, Network Auditing, SAN and NAS, System Visualization, and User Training. Former CCNA (2000-2003).

Work History:

Skills:

Education:

Publication:
Last edited by rattis on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Dutchie

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:28 am

yatz wrote:Here's a question for those certs that require re-certification.

When your certification expires, do you still claim the cert on your resume/business cards/etc.?

I was looking at the ISC certs which look like they require re-certification every 3 years but what if it expires?

if you mean ISC2, well my CISSP cert does expired but commonly there are 2 options. First option retake the examen or second during a period of three years to get sufficient CPE-points.

my opinion about expired certificates, well I would say, I would mention the effort of getting the certificate on my resume. I would not publicly, on business cards or behind my name, add the cert to my name because I think that I would not be entitled to.
RA, CISA, CISSP, C|EH, C|HFI, CWSP, LPIC-1
<<

yatz

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:54 am

Dutchie wrote:if you mean ISC2, well my CISSP cert does expired but commonly there are 2 options. First option retake the examen or second during a period of three years to get sufficient CPE-points.

Yeah, I was talking about ISC2.  So if you get enough CPE points you don't need to retake the test?  I guess I was a bit confused on that part.  I thought it sounded like you need to get the CPE points anyway, AND retake the test every 3 years.

chrisj wrote:Former CCNA (2000-2003).

Ok, that's exactly what I was planning on doing.  I don't want to misrepresent myself, but I do want to stress that I have the training.
"Live as though you would die tomorrow, learn as though you would live forever."

<<

rodmacpherson

Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:20 pm

With ISC, EC-Council and ISACA certs you can just pay the yearly mainenance fee and collect and record enough CPEs for the 3 year refresh cycle and you don't have to re-take the exam, or you could choose to re-take it, but you'd be crazy imo to go that way. It's more hassle and more money to re-do the exam.
<<

yatz

Post Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:51 am

rodmacpherson wrote:With ISC, EC-Council and ISACA certs you can just pay the yearly mainenance fee and collect and record enough CPEs for the 3 year refresh cycle and you don't have to re-take the exam, or you could choose to re-take it, but you'd be crazy imo to go that way. It's more hassle and more money to re-do the exam.

That's good news.  I understand why some vendors would want you to retake the test to keep your knowledge current, but I really don't like doing it.  ;)

Return to General Certification