CEH or eLearnsecurity wich one first

<<

impelse

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:04 pm

CEH or eLearnsecurity wich one first

Wich one would you recommend first CEH or eLearnsecurity?

There are difference between them CEH theory and eLearnsecurity is more hands practice.

In my mind it is very difficult just memorize the information so I was thinking to go for eLearnsecurity to do a lot of execises and one final practice exam and later go to CEH to finish learning the theory and sit to the exam. Is that a good approach or maybe I am missing something. I never touched anything for CEH
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

COm_BOY

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: CEH or eLearnsecurity wich one first

Depends on your curiosity level , experience level . I personally never looked into elearn materials but can assure you that once you get into certifications of these type you would never like stepping back into paper based certs .

Now thats my thought . People may differ ...
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.
<<

Darktaurus

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:50 pm

I agree with COm_BOY.  It looks like eLearnsecurity will definitely get your hands dirty.  I have taken the CEH and it does provide good information but there is nothing like hands on experience.  I do like exams that cannot be simply brain-dumped, but requires at least some hands on work.  I guess that is what makes OSCP so appealing to me. 

To be fair, there is nothing preventing you from building a PenTest Lab to study for the C|EH.  I guess, you get, what you put into it.  But again, I think if take the eLearnsecurity first, you probably won't take the C|EH. 
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com
<<

KrisTeason

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:02 pm

I'd personally go with the eLearnSecurity course over the C|EH just to get the more hands-on approach. The eLearnSecurity certification is pretty new I'd imagine and hasn't gotten much reputation yet, it'd be pretty neat to see some E-H members sporting it in their sigs. Judging from the certifications in your signature you may be a perfect candidate for the Pentesting with BackTrack course. Have you considered Offensive-Security as a training vendor you'd like to learn from one day? I'm currently in PWB v3 and it's by far surpassed any class I've taken - just throwing it out there!
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

COm_BOY

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:13 pm

If you really are willing to go after PWB then consider working on some linux and python , that will off-course benefit you . On the other hand if you are willing to get some job after the certification in this recession period I would say go for vendor certs :) , but if you are going for fun then elearn/pwb
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.
<<

impelse

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:51 pm

I already have a job and I took heorot.net training but I know I am not ready for the offensive training yet. That's the reason for those training it is because I want to go more deep in pentest before offensive security
CCNA Security

<<

COm_BOY

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:59 pm

btw which training you took from heorot ?
<<

impelse

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:20 pm

The first trainig , the old version.
CCNA Security

<<

Xen

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:35 am

While I can't say for CEH, I'm currently going through  eLernsecurity's PTP course material and the content is top quality. They go very deep into some of the topics. Besides, the course is cheaper than CEH training and the slides make learning very easy and fun.

Return to General Certification