Quick and rather odd question

<<

Artholm3

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:38 pm

Quick and rather odd question

I partitioned my HD but have no sound while running BT4. Is it possible to watch the OSCP SWF files in Windows then access their labs in BT4?
<<

alan

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Quick and rather odd question

sure, it's just just flash, just make sure you are fully up to date :D
<<

JollyJokker

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:36 am

you can also find .swf to .avi converters online.

I haven't tried any yet so I can not suggest you a specific one though.
<<

j0rDy

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:27 am

no problem! if your standard VLC media player doesnt play the files, and your are looking for a good flash player, download swiff for windows. this has the options to play,stop,pauze and skip through the movie so you are all set to go! good luck!
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

Artholm3a

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:19 pm

Back again with a question that has truly got me stumped. Would taking the OSCP course be doable with a livecd copy of BT4 or do i need to partition my harddrive?
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:14 pm

Artholm3a wrote:Back again with a question that has truly got me stumped. Would taking the OSCP course be doable with a livecd copy of BT4 or do i need to partition my harddrive?

Running it in a VM is probably the easiest solution. Free solutions such as VirtualBox and VMware Player are more than adequate. You could probably get by with a live CD; it might just be a pain reconfiguring things every session. You could store your files on a thumb drive and automate a lot of that though.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

Data_Raid

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Artholm3a wrote:Back again with a question that has truly got me stumped. Would taking the OSCP course be doable with a livecd copy of BT4 or do i need to partition my harddrive?

When you sign up for the course (PWB) you will have access to a download link that contains a BT4 VMware image. You can then run this image on VMWare player or Workstation, without the need to install Backtrack. The image provided by Offsec is "streamlined" for the course and contains HTML bookmarks and a few other updates.
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

rvs

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:24 pm

My suggestion would use vmware server or vmware player if you have a lot of memory on your pc(highly recommended). Try using it since you are booting for the whole ISO or just the vmware image for bt4 . I know not all on the irc chatters of #offsec would answer to your question. Try also to create a vm for windows XP that might come in handy make sure its sp2. Personally I would prefer two pcs one with the video and one with the bt4. Anyways converting it to avi was like forever so I wouldn't advice that. Setup your leo or I guess they change it now right?! You guys would be using a template for a real pen test. Good luck and  Godspeed I hope my opinion is sufficient.

this might help http://www.question-defense.com/2010/05 ... virtual-pc
<<

Artholm3a

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:47 pm

VMware machine images are able to be updated?
<<

rvs

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:42 pm

It depends on what you mean but, yes if you set the configuration to be connected to the internet. Update for backtrack4 yes it would be. possible 8)
<<

Artholm3a

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:20 pm

rvs wrote:It depends on what you mean but, yes if you set the configuration to be connected to the internet. Update for backtrack4 yes it would be. possible 8)

With BT4 connected to the net last time, i made the huuge mistake of running firefox while under root and got hammered by the Broke Open trojan.

Before even getting a VM image of BT, i must ask:

While on my root account, would typing the command "adduser <username>" create a non-root account that would be safe for day-to-day internet use?

Being a Linux beginner is tough but interesting...
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:00 am

Artholm3a wrote:While on my root account, would typing the command "adduser <username>" create a non-root account that would be safe for day-to-day internet use?

That'll do it. Then you can sudo <command> for anything that requires elevated privileges (may need to tweak the sudoers file to your needs).
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

rvs

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:30 am

as i remember for bt4 your in root shell already since your in root shell
try changing your password by typing root# passwd , It would prompt for a password then ask for confirmation key-in it again. After that do this I dont know which one works I am used to fedora before so type root# useradd "chorva" then after that #root passwd chorva so assign a password for the created user hope it helps. Anyways learning linux is really fun i might suggest visiting fedora forums just google it they have a lot how to's and categories are separated there. Community heads there are very helpful. One more thing try using or checking out www.tldp.org or for example they are asking you or you wanna try out a new command you could always use the man command like man useradd means show manual for the command useradd or adduser. something like that hope it helps happy linuxing!!! :P

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional